new and going crazy

Wingrider

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought a new D unit and put it on with FedEx C. C. about 3 1/2 weeks ago.I never dreamed I would sit so much. Week before last I sat 2 days, ran 250 miles. sat 2 days, ran 300 miles, and sat 2 1/2 days more. Only grossed about $600. Lasst week wasn't quite so bad, but could've ben a lot better. Please tell me it gets better than this! I really appreciate this forum. I've gained a lot of insight and knowledge here. Thanks

G

Dear Mr. Wingrider,I feel your pain brother.Been with them 2 years now,It seems the slow season was extended this year.I cant speak for any one else,but my numbers are down big time.Dont get discouraged,things should pick up real soon.Im sure they informed you the busy season is coming up.You will see the difference,there will be pre-assignment loads at times.towards the holidays is really good revenue.Hang in there,when I started,I felt the same way you do now,but It all seemed to work out.A little advise,(not that Im an expediting wizard or something),but when the busy season kicks in,run your onions off,but dont take crap loads,dont let them intimidate you.The dispatchers are pretty cool there,but they also have to do their job, and at times that calls for trying to cover a garbage load.If you are running single,It seems you get more than your fair share of these.I believe in helping out once in a while,But if an offer just doesnt make sense profit or cost wise,dont take it.Play it smart,Dont get aggravated,busy time is coming.Good luck to you,hope to see you out there.

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before we can help, tell us where you were running, and where you had to sit. You could have just hit some bad areas. This is going to be a big learning experience. Some areas just don't have the freight. The quicker you learn which loads are truly profitable, the better off you'll be.

Wingrider

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I sat in Louisville for 2 days, Moline for 2 days, and Rockford for 2 days. Right now I've been home (authorized) for 50hrs. I'm based out of Pontiac,MI.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A sad reality for you. FedEx CC has put on too many trucks expecting a normal business season that isn,t and most likely won't happen this year. I have sat in Rockford, but only for the weekend with a good load out of WI. Never sat in Moline, and seldom sit anywhere. I'll sit there advertising 24 hrs, then start heading home or toward the center of business, or at least a decent truck stop. Usually get a good offer before going far.
You'll have to decide whether you'd rather feed your engine and your body while sitting or while driving, and which will conserve your money best until business picks up. You'll also have to decide whether to take some less desirable paying runs to get located in a better express center.
I guess the best thing you can do is always take the closest express center after unloading, even when they don't offer it, and never take a run that doesn't allow you to earn money. Until you develop your cost per mile to operate, use $.60/mi to decide whether to take a load.
Don't fear the dreaded "out of service for refusals" message. Call in to your contractor coordinator and state your case to get put back in service.

Luck to you!
Vernon

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is why I left them. I have a "D" unit. As a team, we did really good. As a solo driver, I made about $600 a week. I now drive for a local exp. co. There are still slow weeks, but at least I'm home. I am never gone from home for more than 48 hrs. at a time, and makeing alot more money. All said, as a solo driver I am much happier where I am now.

Wingrider

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What area are you located in? I would give anything to never be gone more than 48 hours at a time.

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live just outside of Youngstown Oh. There are alot of little express co. in the Cleveland area also. Also we don't use satellite communications(saveing $100 a month right there), we just use cell phones.

jasonsmith

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
d mouse...im in youngstown ohio...where should i look to drive
cargo vans with me having class b w/hazmat and my wife with class c? can we be home on weekends? good pay?