NEW AND CLUELESS

J29

Expert Expediter
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING ON THIS EXCEPT I HAVE A CDL B WITH AIR AND HAZ WHICH I NEVER USED YET AND RECENTLY BECAME LOCALLY UNEMPLOYED...NOTHING TO DO HERE AND I CAN RISK BEING AWAY FOR MAKING MORE MONEY THAN I DID AND THE WIFE CAN WATCH THE KID AND I CAN SEND MONEY HOME TO SUPPORT US...I MADE 13/HR AT MY JOB AND SURELY EVEN IF I AM CLUELESS AS I SEEM, I CAN MAKE THE SAME OR MORE MONEY IN SOMEONES CARGO VAN WITH ANOTHER PERSON AND WE CAN SPLIT RIGHT? TELL ME IF I SHOULD STILL FIND SOME JOB WHERE PPL YELL AT ME ALL DAY HERE IN YOUNGSTOWN, OR SHOULD I JUST PICK UP AND GO AND MEET SOMEONE WHO WANTS A TEAM...CAN'T BE THAT HARD IF YOU GET ALONG WITH THEM AND DRIVE WHEN THEY ARE NOT...MAYBE I'M WRONG BUT LET ME KNOW...CAN I SEND HOME 500 A WEEK OR MORE AFTER EXPENSES WITH A CARGO...I STRESS CARGO CUZ I CAN'T DRIVE STICK WORTH CRAP BUT THAT'S WHERE I STAND...DROP EVERYTHING AND GO? I AM IN YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO AND NEED SOME THOUGHTS, CONCERNS AND ADVICE...THANKS!!!:eek:

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi J,

You sound frustrated.....

It appears to me that you have all the right tools to get started...
How much experience do you have driving ??? If you have you Class B you must have been running a decent size truck....air brakes etc.

Also going out on the road is a big decision...Especially if you have young ones...and mom has to handle the load...I spent a lot of years away when my daughter was growing up...but my wife (the saint) handled a lot of the duties...and kept things going....
That aspect of this business has to be trying...being away from home a lot....

You also mentioned a team for a cargo van...they have pretty tight quarters....I'd really think that one through...

Anyway...listen to me ...giving advise...and I havn't even gotten on the road yet......

Read all the back posts on this board....you will learn a lot.

Tazman:)

J29

Expert Expediter
THANKS TAZ...YEAH I HAVE THE TOOLS AND UNDERSTAND ILL BE AWAY BUT I AM DESPARATE TO FIND SOMETHING TO COVER MY 13/HR LOST JOB AND I CAN GO NOW BUT DONT WANT TO DO IT ALONE CUZ ID BE LOST BUT I HAVE NO EXP AND PAID $2K TO TDDS TRUCKING TRAINING BUT COULDNT DRIVE STICK SO IM LIMITED BUT HOPE THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL...SO SAY I FIND SOMETHING...DONT I HAVE TO FILL OUT AND APPLICATION AND HOPE AND WAIT PLUS NEED START UP MONEY AND SUCH? BUT HEY 500 A WEEK OR WAY MORE IS WORTH THE STRUGGLE...I GUESS WE'LL SEE WHATS TO COME

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important thing to do is have a valid DOT Medical card.This will save time and if you have a health issue that won!t let you drive at least you know it up front. Around Youngstown shouldn!t cost more than about $40. You will also have to pass a drug test for anyone who might wnat to hire you. Your driving record must be clean and you should have no felony arrests. Driving team in a van can be dicy,sleeping facilities in a van can be crowded especially if it is not your wife. I am not trying to paint a negative picture here but just be realistic. Good Luck.

J29

Expert Expediter
THATS COOL...NO RECORD AND NO DRUGS...AND SURELY I CAN SWING THE CARD...I GOT ONE ACTUALLY YEARS AGO FROM THE TRUCK TRAINING BUT WHO KNOWS WHERE IT IS NOW...BUT THANKS AGAIN RICH

P.S. TOO BAD A STEP UP FROM A CARGO WASNT AUTOMATIC TRANS, THEN ID
BE OK TO TEAM

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You said you couldn!t handle a stick shift. Nowadays many D units have full Allison Automatics or Eaton Auto Shifts where you only use the clutch when you start or stop. Also the standard Fuller Eaton 6 speed does not require double clutching like the big trucks do,so think about that.You can do better teaming in a D unit vs a van and have more privacy and comfort.

J29

Expert Expediter
D UNITS WITH FULL AUTOMATIC? THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!
THANKS RICH AGAIN...NOW IF ONLY SOMEONE RESPONDS SOON...:)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
J29, It is likely a good idea for you to try driving for somebody else *before* you make the leap into your own truck. You may find this business to not be what you want and you can just walk away as opposed to having a truck to pay for.

There are leads in the jobs section of the classifieds here on EO.

Lastly. Please stop typing in all caps. It is hard to read and considered rude. As in the Internet equivalent of walking into a room and SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS. See my point?

Here is a good newbies guide to online communications:

http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

Otherwise, J29, I wish you the best of luck. Trucking is a great way to make a living. Just not for everyone.

--
Mike N

J29

Expert Expediter
yes, i never wanted to get a truck, i wanted to team with someone who knows the ropes and i can learn...esp since i have no experience...sorry bout the caps...i never understood that but can respect that...i got yelled at work for emailing in caps too...ppl r strange and uptight i guess but its all good}>

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Can i ask why the team thing is so important?...itll be hard finding someone maybe...i dont know maybe youll get lucky tho...you can do ok just by your lonesome !...If youve got ok credit you might not have that hard of a time financing a van thru say alumabunk...as long as you have a company that will commit to hiring you. Ive heard of CTX doing this ,meaning that theyll go to bat and say "he can work for us " then alumabunk will qualify you for credit,as long as you have some kind of downstroke...20% im thinking for a new van...hope all works out for ya!...you might be amazed at what one can sell to come up with a downstroke,have equity in your home? Etc etc...get creative...EH? LOL..:)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
The way it seems to me is that unless you are a team that co-habitates (married etc.) then you are on the losing end. Even if you make more money than a solo driver you would still have to split the revenues. As for financing, coming up with 20% down should get you a new van. Most bigger Chevy/Ford/Dodge etc. dealerships have ways to get less than perfect credit done when accompanied by a good solid downstroke.

--
Mike N

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
J29, hope you don't mind straight talk. You did ask for opinions, so I'll be direct.

The easy one first, your medical card. You said you had an old one from your training some time ago. To work for almost any company, you need a current medical card, defined as within the last 90 days to a year depending on company.

I would forget the idea of driving team in a van completely. Mixed teams in D trucks that survive any length of time are rare, so that may not be workable either.

You need a steady $500/week, based on your statements. I don't think you'll find it out here expediting as you're just in time for the winter slowdown, where you will be fortunate to see $250 a week until March. Right now, you cannot expect a 50/50 split as your co-driver will be having to teach you, so it could be less.

Truthfully, the job best suited for you now is right there in Youngstown. Look for warehouse work with a possibility of delivery/pickup included. This will get you some driving experience plus some needed cash flow now. A plus here will be learning how to back into loading docks while being paid by the hour, as that subject is poorly taught in many driving schools.

Finally, you can't be any worse at shifting gears than I was when I completed my formal training. I learned to shift with the experience doing it, plus a really kind trainer reminding me how stupid I must be. Just go do it.

Vernon

J29

Expert Expediter
thank you vernon...that was the most pleasant down to earth reply getting to the point...have a merry x-mas and a happy new year!:7