NEVER Hold a Fleet Owner's Truck Hostage

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A locked thread entitled "Give Up" speaks of a situation where a driver believed his fleet owner owed him money. In an attempt to recover the money, the driver retained posession of the truck but did not drive it as originally intended. See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/5045.html

Expediter wannabees should know that no matter how bad a fleet owner may treat you, or how behind on your pay the fleet owner grows, or however terrible any of the fleet owner's other shortcomings (real or perceived) may be, it is ALWAYS against the driver's own best interests to abandon a fleet owner's truck, hold it hostage, or otherwise deny your fleet owner access to or the use of the truck.

Even if you are 100% in the right and the fleet owner is 100% in the wrong, and even if the facts are crystal clear about who is right and wrong, it is ALWAYS wrong to abandon, hold hostage or otherwise deny your fleet owner access to or use of the truck, even for a short period of time.

Doing so will stain your reputation in the expediting community and your driving record too (DAC) if your actions are reported, which they likely will be. In the long run, it will almost certainly hurt you more than it hurts the fleet owner.

In a driver/fleet owner relationship, the fleet owner is the OWNER. Whether a written contract exists or not, and no matter what it says, truck ownership gives the fleet owner rights and powers drivers do not have.

If you find yourself in a dispute with a fleet owner, there are numerous other ways to deal with it. Trying to use a truck that you do not own as a bargaining chip in a dispute simply will not work, because it is a chip you do not own.

There are good fleet owners out there that can point to numerous successful driver/fleet owner relationships. As the "Giving Up" thread shows, it is well worth the effort to find and work with the good ones.

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
I Hear ya ATEAM,

While everyone situation is different, I am at the point where, when asked about getting into this business I will say to that person, try driving for someone first but you have to careful and try to find a owner thats on point. I have recommended a few drivers that I have meet to a few owners that I know and have come to find out that the drivers just don't get it, This Business is tough and takes a great deal of perserverence as well as some business savy.

So Guys and Gals DO YOUR RESERCH!!! And if recommended to a good fleet owner don't jerk them around, keep your contract open end so if it does not work out, you both can work it out in returning the equipment and making sure the $$$$ issues's are handled

Otherwise...Get your own truck when you are in position to do so.

AbeJr
Stand Tall & Be Proud

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
This is very good advice. Truck abandonment and all forms of it are felonies. Never abandon a truck you do not own or attempt to hold any equipment or loads hostage or abandon loads. You will lose. If you can no longer deal with the truck, the load, the owner, company, etc, just drive the truck back to the people who who own it, and leave the truck and keys there and get yourself home. Mudflap

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Along with never hold the truck hostage it would be the most foolish thing you could do to intentionally damage the truck. That could possibly lead you to criminal and/or civil consequences. Stay on top of your finances. If you aren't paid on time do something about it the next day. Don't wait until the next payday. Don't figure it will all work out next time. Your contract should explicitly detail how and when you will be paid as well as what remedies you have if you aren't. You can not let anger or other emotions direct your actions. You will lose if you do.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
I may be green but I agree never hold a Truck hostage or abandon it

Do the right thing and take it back. Now What you can do and I do

believe I read any one saying this. If the Owner owes ya then

Take a mechanics lean out on the truck. He she will not be able to do

a thing untill the lean is taken care of. IE sell ect.

Kev

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i hear if u are a citizen of texas u can hold a truck for collateral in texas legally, but i wouldn't advise it.