Netbook's

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Wife wants a netbook.Looking at Acer Aspire One with Windows XP free acc.kit $49.99 with 2yr contract.Contract choices are Data connect 200MG for $35.00 mo. or $60.00 mo. for 5 Gb.This is from AT&T.I don't know a hole lot about computers.We have a Toshiba note book for doing all of our buisness and personal stuff.She just wants something too use to surf the web, email,etc...I'm always on the Toshiba,so she wants her own.Need some advice.Other choices maybe.We have AT&T phones,so i prefer one bill,but we use sprint air card for laptop.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wife wants a netbook.Looking at Acer Aspire One with Windows XP free acc.kit $49.99 with 2yr contract.Contract choices are Data connect 200MG for $35.00 mo. or $60.00 mo. for 5 Gb.This is from AT&T.I don't know a hole lot about computers.We have a Toshiba note book for doing all of our buisness and personal stuff.She just wants something too use to surf the web, email,etc...I'm always on the Toshiba,so she wants her own.Need some advice.Other choices maybe.We have AT&T phones,so i prefer one bill,but we use sprint air card for laptop.

I would strongly suggest trying one for a day or so before making the jump to one. I thought I wanted one, I bought it at best buy specifically because you had 30 days to exchange it. I kept it for 24 hours and was back at the store getting a normal laptop. It just did not work out for me in about any respect.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Netbooks and notebooks are fading fast. I wouldn't bother with one now. Tablet computing is the future. If you can wait a little while, advances in tablet computers will make them attractive, and netbook and notebook prices should plummet until they're no longer made anymore. They're going the way of the Walkman.

If you just can't wait, I suggest getting a smaller notebook rather than an even smaller netbook; I don't know how people see what's on the screen.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If your just going to cruise the web then you don't need the latest and greatest wonder of mini electronics out there. My next laptop will be a referb'd Toughbook.

Search the web for them. I found one on ebay that shows more than the normal pics of one and is good as a reference.

Panasonic TOUGHBOOK CF-28 laptop * TOUCHSCREEN DVD-RW * - eBay (item 140455574665 end time Sep-19-10 15:43:23 PDT)

These tend to take the pounding better than the regular home model laptops.

I'll second the Panasonic Toughbook refurb.
I posted about the one I got, ( CF-29 off lease ) a few weeks ago.
I got mine frome Tiger Direct:
TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
They have refurbs from 329.00 or if ya feel rich, new ones up over$4000.00:)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It may depend on your current contracts, but smart phones are doing a lot these days. It almost sounds like you are looking at four separate connections that you will be paying for. Two phones, an air card and then whatever dataplan for the netbook? Many people are starting to use their smart phone as their mobile connection. You should be able to get away with the two phones (one having tethering capability) with a data plan and connect the computers through one of the phones (wirelessly or cabled). That would eliminate at least one connection. Connecting through the phone would allow you to not be restricted to a netbook. You could still use a netbook sized computer if you wanted, but it wouldn't be necessary for it to be a separate connection. The mobile hotspot I set up through my droid x is performing as well as if not better than the sprint aircard that I packed away last week.

eb

Last edited: