Nervous newbie

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You are being smart about it and as long as you guys come up to speed fairly quickly, everything should be just fine.
I hate truck stops, they are gross. ..
Too many PIGS with very little courtesy or thought for the other guy IMHO.
When I have more time, I will tell the story of how I got started as a newbie.
One tip about bugs... if you have an overhead fan, set it to pull air in and that will help keep the flies and whatever else from coming in.
You are lucky that your Wife is a go getter, that will benefit you in this business.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Chernandez

Active Expediter
Greg, with you owning the truck, you are an independent contractor.
But if you buy a second truck and put a driver in it, why should he be an I/C ?
Particularly for those that have owners that micro-manage.
Sure , you don't want to pay the employer's share of the taxes. You don't want to pay his W/C .
Or give him benefits.
Because fleet owners are often cheap and or greedy. And because it's done by most, you support lower rates.
Should expedite drivers ever become classified as employees,rates will have to creep up to support the increased costs. And the drivers should have a better life.
As hard as most drivers work out here, they should have more of a middle class income/lifestyle.
I apologize if I confused the newbie. I feel it's a scam, but thought I made it clear that it's acceptable practice ( for now at least) in this industry.

I truly don't understand why anyone would not want to be on a 1099....so many advantages to controlling your income. If you don't feel like the pay on your 1099 is adequate to support your lifestyle, then it's not the 1099, it's the choice of company you choose or the industry...you can change either one, then problem solved....no disrespect meant, just seems to be facts....we all have choices.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It will be challenging but you need to think about getting on a 12 hour shift schedule working opposite shifts as soon as you can. It means one will do 90% sometimes and other times the other one will. But this isn't a 50/50 career when it comes to managing time and being rested and alert enough to be safe. You can't be up all day with the spouse having fun and then do a 12 hour shift starting in the evening. Well, you can but it isn't safe and it isn't smart. Pick whatever swap time you want but half way through darkness hours is probably best so you each get as much darkness bunk time as possible.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
It will be challenging but you need to think about getting on a 12 hour shift schedule working opposite shifts as soon as you can. It means one will do 90% sometimes and other times the other one will. But this isn't a 50/50 career when it comes to managing time and being rested and alert enough to be safe. You can't be up all day with the spouse having fun and then do a 12 hour shift starting in the evening. Well, you can but it isn't safe and it isn't smart. Pick whatever swap time you want but half way through darkness hours is probably best so you each get as much darkness bunk time as possible.

We will get there. The plan is for me to do this one today. She will do one on her own tomorrow. That way we both will experiance two loads and be able to help the other if needed. Gps and navigation is still a challenge alone. I'd rather miss out on money and have help then mess up alone. Might take a week or so but we'll get there. Expeditors and fed ex don't seem to care one way or the other, and it wouldn't matter if they did. I'm not rushing for anyone.

Reactions: ucfd608 and Ragman

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
First delivery done. Of coarse there was an issue with the paper work from the shipper. We got loaded and upon checking the lid before we left we realized our "aircraft parts" were really "dried egg whites". Awesome. Didn't help that the girl we were dealing with was also new, however, she was very nice and the issue did not lie with her. Some communication issue somewhere down the line. Either way, made it here just in time. 5 minutes later and we would have had to get unloaded in the morning. Construction on the way didn't help either. I hate driving in Texas...

Chernandez

Active Expediter
Josh, thanks so much for these updates...should be in a FCC straight truck soon for the first time and your post are invaluable at this stage for me.
Good luck and keep us in the loop...

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh and Mrs. is rocking it!

Sure didn't feel that way when I caught myself in a residential neighborhood on my way to Walmart this morning. Hesitated too long when making the choice to use the entrance I came up on or catch the next one. Turns out there wasn't a next one. Had to turn around in a neighborhood. Wasn't too bad. Just be aware of low hanging trees/power lines and always remember, rush for no one. I went through 30 miles of 1 lane construction last night at 45mph because it was hard to judge which way the lane was gonna go. Plenty of headlights right behind me, don't pay no attention to them. Night time is a little more difficult for me. Can't see as far so I roll right around 55-60, trucks go flying by like they're delivering water to a fire.

Currently gonna rest at a truck stop. Not looking like we're gonna get a load before Monday. Which is fine (hence the Walmart stop this morning to grab a tv). We spent the night at the shipper. Each driver has 45 min worth of "off duty driving" to use however they want. We were able to use that to get to Walmart and the truck stop without starting our 14hr day, that way we have all our hours should a load pop up.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh, thanks so much for these updates...should be in a FCC straight truck soon for the first time and your post are invaluable at this stage for me.

I know the feeling, before we actually started I was looking for anything that would put me in an experienced persons shoes. Lots of info on the big stuff, but not a whole lot on the little stuff, which adds to nervous feelings when getting started (pumping gas (gotta call it fuel, lmao)) at the truck stop, the prompts, def fill ups, when truck stops seem to fill up (weekends might also be a full time. This place is pretty crowded), shower situations. It all plays a part in the experience and once we get things rolling at a decent pace I'll make a starter list that goes through the motions once you get out there.

Reactions: Chernandez

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver

One more thing, one positive note for being with fed ex is that they are just a phone call away. You might be on hold for a little bit but someone will answer and they will help you with ANYTHING. Any question, large or small, dumb or not, if in doubt, call them. SUPER helpful. We called them before every step, once we accepted the load, once we got there (had to because of the incorrect paperwork) and when all was said and done with our paper work. When you go to orientation, get the scanner for your c-link. Makes it so much easier to send in your paper work.

GR8WING

New Recruit
Researching
Josh,
You have about a month to write your book "Dummies guide to Expediting in Straight Truck " before we get out there. You're setting all weekend, get on it!
LOL

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Lol, need to make sure our way of doing things is the right way first.

Got our shower in. Loves card will give you points for fuel purchases and eventually we'll start racking up free showers.

Also accepted a load out of here tomorrow heading to Nebraska. Hopefully it's better than Texas. At minimum it should be better for loads. Most loads seem to be in the Midwest right in the states surrounding our home.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Helpful hint. Ez pass does not work in OK, FL, KS, and TX. 2 blown tolls later...

So irritated right now. Apparently the phrase "all your tolls are good, you have a pass" actually means "some of your tolls are converted and we'll surprise you with the ones that aren't". No one is open on Sunday. After blowing through the first pike pass lane we stopped at the booth for the next one. However they don't accept cards and we didn't have cash on us. She gave us an envelope to make the payment for the 2 missed tolls and the next booth. There was a truck stop 3 miles up where we could pull out some cash. I'm sure we will get reimbursed, but that's not the point. Always keep cash on you I guess..

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Second load picked up. Took about 2hrs but we met another fed ex couple that have been doing it for 20ish years. They said good luck and don't let anyone get you down :)

First time securing a load. Paper work was also wrong on this one. Should deliver in 8-9 hrs, about 500 miles.