Nervous newbie

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hey what’s up Josh and all the Thread followers? Hope all are being safe. Josh that would be appreciated if you did that over the weekend. No push though I understand you got a job to do. It’ll be good to have her proof read and understand what they will want her to do. To me I think I already know but I’m not going to be that guy that thinks and doesn’t know or act like I know. I just feel like I’ve been in the trucking industry for 15+ years so I feel like it, sounds cocky don’t it but I know that’s not the attitude to have lol. I’ve never really driven them but in a parking lot so I’m not going to act like I know everything. I want it to be a learning experience. I just hope it’s well worth it. Anyways but yeah anything at this point is good. We’re excited. I’m actually surprised She’s as excited and really motivated to make this life changing career move. How’s all your guys cabs. Decent size? Do they all seem to come standard with the fridge and microwaves sinks etc... or not sure because you haven’t seen many others on the inside. See I’m used to dealing with and seeing full 120 or 125 cabs, I’m not use to dealing with straight trucks but their cabs seem nicer than the bigger trucks that just is pretty much a bedroom. Straight truck seems to have a better living cab. But maybe it’s just the ones I’ve found and haven’t found a crappy one yet. Also wanted to ask how far back they go on criminal record if anyone knows. I did get into some trouble back in my young and dumb years around 18-19 years old and that was about 16 - 17 years ago. Boatcat do you still ride. I ride a lot go to a lot of bike events like a few bike weeks a years, swap meets etc. I ride a Harley Nightster 1200 right now but been begging my girl to let me get a street glide. Anyways I hope all is well with all you drivers. Drive safe all.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Gear grinder.
Not all of these trucks are set up nice and comfy with all the amenities you mentioned.
The 100 inch Bolt custom sleepers are popular and most newer trucks have at least that or even bigger in some cases.
My 07 M2 is Not one of those. I was used to the sleepers in semis, so of course they are smaller, around 70 or so, and mine is only a bit bigger at 84.
That is from the drivers seat to the back wall.
New trucks have nice big fridges and microwaves built in, if you are lucky enough to get one of those right off the bat.
My truck was 10 years old when I bought it so it had a well used microwave and a small fridge that lasted 6 months before it quit.
I was not using the fridge much anyway, so I took it out, checked into repairing it and found out it was done, so I built some shelves in the area it was in and to me that is a better use of the space.
I tend to eat trail mix and apples and meals are fresh or deli stuff, so I don't need a fridge right now.
I do not have a sink either, I have to carry water in gallon jugs, getting it at the truck stops and rest areas when available, or Walmart. I buy distilled for drinking and making coffee and tea.
Yes, I ride as much as I can, don't have the Harley Electra glide anymore , sold it and my Norton 850 commando to pay for college, but I still have my Goldwing and if I miss riding a Harley I just rent one.
One thing I am saving for is an APU, that will be a big upgrade as far as comfort goes but they are expensive.

Sent from my SM-N910V using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Gear_Grinder

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Yeah I was thinking that it just seemed every time I looked up straight trucks each cab was equipped like that. So I thought it was a standard. Like I said I never really dealt with straight trucks much I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I work at freightliner right now been there for years and worked at t/a for 12 years prior in the shop to assistant manager. Always dealt with freightliners. I’m not trying to expect the greatest just trying to live comfortably and get an idea what life is like on the road and adapting. Knowing a clearer more understanding view of what we are going to walk into. We’re reading the manuals now so hopefully ready to do this permit after thanksgiving. Just crossing my fingers all this pans out and everything works out because we have high hopes on this and hate getting shut down. So how do you like your goldwing? I know people that have a chapter here called the goldwings. Nice people and of course love theirs. Always ask us to ride with them but always working when they are riding normally on Saturday’s and I’m always stuck at work. But I’d like to get a more comfortable bike for touring around and maybe pull off a ride like you did. It’s nice seeing the world on a bike.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Good luck and I hope you both pass easily and get your permits.
Then it's on to finding a owner to drive for.
My Freightliner is ok, but I'm not happy with this Mercedes engine.
I always thought highly of the brand and expected it to be highly dependable but that has not been the case and all. Had I owned it since new, it may have been a different story as I take care of my machines to a high standard.
If you read my posts, you will understand why I call it The MONEY PIT.
My Goldwing is an 84 Aspencade, actually have two, same year and model.

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Yeah them motors are garbage worse ones to ever come out. They have a lot of EGR and head problems. I’ll take a look at your post “Money Pit”. Newer m2’s run the Cummins now but they are going to put the Detroit’s back in them, they have a smaller DD now. These trucks that been running with the aftertreatments I don’t know how owner ops are going to stay alive out there. 95% of our shop that’s all it is and it’s no joke for the ones out of warranty it’s thousands of dollars.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
More about the Goldwing ...
I cut my last post short because the site was slow and hokey for some reason and typing was very tedious.
I like the bike, it's comfy, has a nice backrest and riding position, big footrests set forward like old school riding pegs.
I did the cross country ride back in 82 on a shovel head superglide I bought in California. Those were the days, I was a pool man, had all my hair and Life was good...
I rode back home when my Sister died in a drowning accident. Planned on going back but never did, until 2 weeks ago.
Did another ride from Michigan to Florida, in 86 I think, on a 750 Honda I traded my car for, sold that bike when I got down to Naples Fla and bought a Triumph I liked better than the Honda.
I will probably be selling the Wings in the Spring so I can get an APU for this truck.
Don't really have time to ride with being on the road doing this anyway.
Will miss it, but can always get another bike later.
I've been to Sturgis and Bike week in Datona more than once, but it's gotten a bit to wild and crazy expensive for me, too hard to find a decent place to stay anymore.
Good times though. Nothing like riding on the beach, then searching for a car wash to get the salt and grit off.
Hey, do you know much about these MBE engines?

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Hey what’s up Josh and all the Thread followers? Hope all are being safe. Josh that would be appreciated if you did that over the weekend. No push though I understand you got a job to do. It’ll be good to have her proof read and understand what they will want her to do. To me I think I already know but I’m not going to be that guy that thinks and doesn’t know or act like I know. I just feel like I’ve been in the trucking industry for 15+ years so I feel like it, sounds cocky don’t it but I know that’s not the attitude to have lol. I’ve never really driven them but in a parking lot so I’m not going to act like I know everything. I want it to be a learning experience. I just hope it’s well worth it. Anyways but yeah anything at this point is good. We’re excited. I’m actually surprised She’s as excited and really motivated to make this life changing career move. How’s all your guys cabs. Decent size? Do they all seem to come standard with the fridge and microwaves sinks etc... or not sure because you haven’t seen many others on the inside. See I’m used to dealing with and seeing full 120 or 125 cabs, I’m not use to dealing with straight trucks but their cabs seem nicer than the bigger trucks that just is pretty much a bedroom. Straight truck seems to have a better living cab. But maybe it’s just the ones I’ve found and haven’t found a crappy one yet. Also wanted to ask how far back they go on criminal record if anyone knows. I did get into some trouble back in my young and dumb years around 18-19 years old and that was about 16 - 17 years ago. Boatcat do you still ride. I ride a lot go to a lot of bike events like a few bike weeks a years, swap meets etc. I ride a Harley Nightster 1200 right now but been begging my girl to let me get a street glide. Anyways I hope all is well with all you drivers. Drive safe all.

No worries, only got two load offers so far and neither were great. One to D.C. and one to laredo tx. Dont think I would have been able to get a load out of either so no go on those.

I found this link online that is pretty accurate for a pretrip. https://pace-usa.com/app/uploads/2017/02/Pre-Trip-Inspection-Straight-Truck.pdf

The only sleeper experience I have is with expediters, and I believe all of there trucks have the bolt sleepers. We were never offered anything that wasn't well equipped (sink, same fridge size as our rv, microwave and an apu). Expediters also seems to maintain their stuff pretty well. Anytime we need anything they just direct us to a t/a or freightliner, or thermoking if its apu related. No hesitation and they dont ever ask questions. If we think its iffy they take our work and tell us to take it in. I appreciate not having to be defensive when I think there might be something wrong.

All you guys talking about bikes.. any car guys out there?

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Josh,
Sounds like you guys have it pretty good. You are probably making more money and are a Lot more comfortable than I am as a struggling owner op with an old truck sinking a ton of money into it just to keep it going till I can get a new one.
My sleeper is an Alumi Bunk, made in Canada AND NO Where Near As Nice As Your newer ones with all the bells and whistles.
I'm not really a car guy.
I'm into boats and SCUBA.
You should have lots of car guys on here to talk with about cool rides.
Have fun.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am wanting to get a camaro t-top an build it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Josh,
Sounds like you guys have it pretty good. You are probably making more money and are a Lot more comfortable than I am as a struggling owner op with an old truck sinking a ton of money into it just to keep it going till I can get a new one.
My sleeper is an Alumi Bunk, made in Canada AND NO Where Near As Nice As Your newer ones with all the bells and whistles.
I'm not really a car guy.
I'm into boats and SCUBA.
You should have lots of car guys on here to talk with about cool rides.
Have fun.

Did you start out as an owner operator? If not what made you go that route? Owning our own truck sounds good, but I just can't put it together I guess. Right now it seems like we have it good. Face value we make a lot less than we could, but we literally don't pay for anything. Even out $1.75 toll is getting reimbursed. Our only expense on the road has been food. Our loves went platinum last month so you get 2 showers and 2 refills, per person, per day. I cut back on my monster drinks and replaced it with coffee and diet soda which makes our spending even less (I drink a lot of monster). I can't imagine the profits being THAT much grater after it's all said and done with maint., repair, fuel, etc. all the added stress doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe my newbie-mess is shinning bright with not understanding, but I don't think we'll move past driving for a fleet owner. The only positive I could think of is just being able to walk away for a bit assuming your financially able to.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Did you start out as an owner operator? If not what made you go that route? Owning our own truck sounds good, but I just can't put it together I guess. Right now it seems like we have it good. Face value we make a lot less than we could, but we literally don't pay for anything. Even out $1.75 toll is getting reimbursed. Our only expense on the road has been food. Our loves went platinum last month so you get 2 showers and 2 refills, per person, per day. I cut back on my monster drinks and replaced it with coffee and diet soda which makes our spending even less (I drink a lot of monster). I can't imagine the profits being THAT much grater after it's all said and done with maint., repair, fuel, etc. all the added stress doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe my newbie-mess is shinning bright with not understanding, but I don't think we'll move past driving for a fleet owner. The only positive I could think of is just being able to walk away for a bit assuming your financially able to.
Yes, I started expediting as an owner op.
Found the EO site after getting fed up with doing CLASS A driving and getting ripped off by shady operators.
I searched the classified ads on the site, called about posted jobs and found one owner who wanted to hire me but did not have an open truck right then.
I was anxious to get to work, so after calling him to get a feel for the situation, still no open truck but he told me he had one for sale because his driver wanted an automatic transmission.
That turned into the first batch of :censoredsign: and outright lies, but I did not know that at the time, so I bought the truck instead of working for the guy.
I dodged a bullet for sure.
It would not have worked out, I have no tolerance for liars, people users and control freaks.
The guy was a piece of work.

If you read my posts, you know the story, but all in all I'm doing ok and heading in the direction I want to at my own pace, maintaining the truck to my standards and having the freedom to make my own choices.
It's a struggle and a bit uncomfortable at times, but I know if I work hard toward my goals it will all work out.
I will get that new truck, slowly build a small fleet and be a good and responsible owner.
One more thing. I will be keeping this truck even when I get the new one. If I have to put a new engine in it, that's fine, its still less than the cost of a new truck and this one is pre DPF, a bonus in my book. And I will have an open truck that's well taken care of for a driver who is willing to use and not abuse it.
The cost is high right now, but I'm willing to pay the price.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Speaking of the MBE900, I like mine. I bought my truck in March 2016 with 555k miles on it. I just passed 650k and all I've done to the engine was the injector lines and transfer tubes. A couple of them were leaking a bit, so I bought a set on eBay for $150 and changed them myself and the fan air button, or whatever it is called. In front of the fan it has a bearing with a connector for the air line. That bearing failed and it ripped the air line out.

I believe that the difference between my truck and Boatcat's is how they were treated in their previous lives.

This summer I was looking at a newer Cascadia expediter truck to replace mine but I came to my senses since my truck hasn't given me issues. I will be keeping it and driving it till something major goes. This truck has paid for itself many times over and it does not cost me anything. I make just as much as the guy parked next to me with his $70k truck.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Gear_Grinder

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Josh thanks for that link I do appreciate it that will be perfect for her to study. It would be so much easier if I had a truck to be able to show her, I would because I’m dot certified and no what to look for but I know a pre-trip is not as extensive but the simple safety measures before you the drive daily. You all staying out for the holidays or you going home? Josh what kind of truck did you end up getting. I know you said that you ended keeping the one you drove down to Mississippi with to pick up the other. I was just curious on make and model and how it’s been running for you?
Boatcat I think that’s a good option to sell the bike and get an apu. Apu is a good investment I think. Now they got espar systems to which I would assume work great and would be ideal. I did once see a Stevens truck burn to the ground down in the middle of the night due to faulty apu when they first became really big but they were all safe. Burnt have the trailer down to. I might even still have pictures of it maybe I’ll have to look for. Many years ago. I’m going to miss my bike that’s what I keep telling her I just bought new parts to do it up this winter and probably won’t get to it. Someday now if I start driving. Ready to be working with her seeing the world while making money. Sooner or later being an owner op learning the business and being like you buy a few more trucks here and there. There are a lot of small successful trucking business out there we deal with that start out the same way. They are smart thought buying older trucks with egr deleting the egr and their trucks are running like champs but some are starting to get a couple of the cascadias with the after treatments so i will see if they survive or sink. A lot of freightliner around me is the rail yard and amazon.
Flying van got lucky with his Mercedes but that’s good. At least it’s working for somebody. I mean well maintained vehicles will always keep you making money but sometimes I think no matter what their are just some junk items out there even with the maintenance and that’s the Mercedes but like I said I think you got real lucky and that’s the 900 and 460 series. Hope you all are being safe out.
Thanks again josh for that link.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boatcat there is a place in Atlanta that sells used apus for a decent price they completely go thru them replace anything that is needed an also come with a warranty I will try to find there name an number

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Speaking of the MBE900, I like mine. I bought my truck in March 2016 with 555k miles on it. I just passed 650k and all I've done to the engine was the injector lines and transfer tubes. A couple of them were leaking a bit, so I bought a set on eBay for $150 and changed them myself and the fan air button, or whatever it is called. In front of the fan it has a bearing with a connector for the air line. That bearing failed and it ripped the air line out.

I believe that the difference between my truck and Boatcat's is how they were treated in their previous lives.

This summer I was looking at a newer Cascadia expediter truck to replace mine but I came to my senses since my truck hasn't given me issues. I will be keeping it and driving it till something major goes. This truck has paid for itself many times over and it does not cost me anything. I make just as much as the guy parked next to me with his $70k truck.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I had some of the same issues and spent considerable time this summer fixing them.
The rotary air valve went first, causing a bad air leak and damaging the radiator core when it was flailing around.
I removed the hood, took out the radiator, replaced the water pump, the alt, belt tensioner pulley and belt, hoses, clamps and then the radiator with the new air valve and a new AC condenser because it was damaged when I hit a deer a few months earlier.
After all of that, issues with the engine. You are quite right, it was not taken care of by the previous owners, especially the guy I bought it from. The guy was a cheapskate and a boldface liar.
I will keep fixing whatever goes wrong, still cheaper than a new one. And paid for.
At least we can save considerable money doing work ourselves, and learn in the process.
Sharing our experiences is a very good thing. Thank you all.

Josh

Active Expediter
Driver
Our truck is a 2015? Cascadia. 250ish on the clock.

Maybe go to a local Penske or enterprise and look at their trucks. Should be damn close as long as they have air brakes

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Boatcat there is a place in Atlanta that sells used apus for a decent price they completely go thru them replace anything that is needed an also come with a warranty I will try to find there name an number

Thanks, I know of a place between Kansas City and Joplin that does that also. Totally rebuilt, installed and guaranteed for about 6 Grand.
I will have one by Springtime.
The Espar is not for me, I want 110 power, heat and AC.
It will be a wise upgrade for comfort and value.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, I know of a place between Kansas City and Joplin that does that also. Totally rebuilt, installed and guaranteed for about 6 Grand.
I will have one by Springtime.
The Espar is not for me, I want 110 power, heat and AC.
It will be a wise upgrade for comfort and value.

Yea espar is not for me either

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Even with an APU an Espar works well. Rather than having to run the APU 24/7 while stopped it can run just enough to keep the batteries up while the Espar keeps winter at bay. One gallon of diesel is about 20 hours of Espar heat or about 3 hours of APU if I remember correctly.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you had to choose between C/M Transport and Load one, where would you go for overall satisfaction and money coming in v/s costs they charge you.
Frankly, the only thing I like about C/M right now is the E LOG system they use...

I would say Load One and they have elogs too.