need to know!!!!!!!!!!

G

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a E-350 extended van and signing on with Robert's Express.
Some of the questions I have are:
1) Is there more profit potential with a B unit vs. others?
2) How is Robert's Express regarding down time and routing around your home?
3) What type of income can I expect?
4) What is a fair amount of home time with this company?
I've been in the trucking industry for 6 years as a dockworker and a haz-mat technician, but have not driven for a living. I'm trying to determine what I can expect.

G

ROBERT'S EXPRESS is looking for a minumum availabilty of 75%. That's three weeks you "on the road" one week home.
If you live in the "trucking hub" i.e. ohio, michigan, indiana, illinois . . you can strategize alot more home-time than if you live in maine, new york, texas etc. Robert's does NOTHING to help you get home, but if you live in the hub states you can boogie home, still stay available, & probably get run offers, sorta like having your cake & eating it too!
You can gross more in bigger trucks, but the expenses are more, so it kinda boils down to how you wanna do it.
If you haven't been an EXPEDITER before . . it kinda makes sense to start with a "B" unit . . .or drive for somebody else for awhile before you take the plunge into being an owner-operater of ANY size truck & be stuck with a truck payment & a lifestyle you don't like, your wife don't like, and your kids don't like.
my opinion is ROBERT'S is the best. . . but there still is a corporate culture you'll have to acclimate yourself to. They certainly have alot of rules that can rankle alot of people. but, the plusses outweigh the minuses.
$$$ first six months you gotta say yes to most everything they ask ya to do. so you can learn the game the way they play it, then you can make adjustments to suit your liking. EXPEDITERS have to be able to handle $$$ Those great weeks are always followed by weeks you'll do zilch/zonko/nothing. Looked at ANNUALLY you'll do okay unless the economy nose-dives.

G

I live just below Akron, Ohio, where Robert's is headquartered. I spoke with a rep today, and was informed that they are not taking any B units on at this time. Seems that they have more than enough vans.
Thankfully, i live in NE Ohio within 15 miles or RT 77, 76, and the turnpike.
I was wondering if it would be a better move to purchase a D unit over a C unit. Would this minimize downtime by being capable of accepting a larger variety of loads?

G

It's always been my opinion that a D or C was best left for a Husband/Wife team. I have had teams and singles in both. The teams always seem to last longer. BUT it ALWAYS depends on WHO u are leased to. 10-4? But u live in a GREAT area. that is a big plus - no matter where u go. good luck and welcome to the wild world of expedite.

X

G

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a E-350 extended van and signing on with Robert's Express.
Some of the questions I have are:
1) Is there more profit potential with a B unit vs. others?

ALL things considered, the total net-net, I strongly believe the most profitable size is the D-Unit.

2) How is Robert's Express regarding down time and routing around your home?

3) What type of income can I expect?

Newbees: year 1 - 30K (running as a single)
year 2 - 40-50K

4) What is a fair amount of home time with this company?

Unless you are regulary committed to being out on the road for three weeks at a time, this is not the business for you. Not saying you NEED to be out this long, but you need to be prepaired for this reality, on a monnth-in-month-out basis.

Expediting is a "lifestyle" as much as it is a career.

I've been in the trucking industry for 6 years as a dockworker and a haz-mat technician, but have not driven for a living. I'm
trying to determine what I can expect.