Need major help in starting small Del/Exp Company

Marks34

Expert Expediter
Hey all...

A buddy and I are seriously thinking of starting up a small Expidte/Delivery company, and we are basicly clueless has to how and where to begin....

I have been working for a cartige company for 11 years now, and have experince in delivering everything from air frieght to reatil clothing.. Now this friend of mine and I would like to branch out and try our hands at this....

We want to start small, we have a great lead on 2 brand new 3/4 ton cargo vans... After that were running into walls...

What type of insurance do we need ???
What type of endorsements do we need ??
And should I offer the trucking comapny I work for now any type of a split, and start it up through them ??

Any help would be very very usefull... I've been all over these boards and have seen tons of different post, but they all say 10 diferent things.....

Like I said any help to point us the right direction would be great...

Thanks all

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE:help starting small Del/Exp

Where are you located? In what part of the USA, Or is it the USA??? Are vans the only thing you are going to use????

Marks34

Expert Expediter

Thanks for the reply..

Were in the Mid west, Michigan to be exact.. and Yes right now due to Financial reasons the only thing we will have to begin with is a couple of Vans.. Hopefully we can keep busy enough in the first year or so where we can add a Straight truck or Tractor Trailer.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Well Mark,
You are in a very good location to pull this off.
In 1990 I had a dream (sounds like MLK) and today I own and operate a small del/exp service in western Pa (it only took me 6yrs of investigating). I can tell you one thing, I did a lot of research and ask allot of questions and wore allot of hats to get here. I will not do time deliveries, I only do dedicated routes for customers.

The first thing I would do is start contacting some prospective customers and ask them to join you in this adventure. Bring them in on the ground floor and show them allot of enthusiasm. Tell them you will work with them as close as you can, and do it.

You should start putting a business plan together with your partner, and get all your legal BS out of the way now while it’s still kind of slow, and cold.

This is not a game, it is going to take allot of hard long work for you guys to make this work. You will drive when your so tired you can hardly stand up. And there will be times you are brite eyed and don't have a run anywhere.

GOOD LUCK.