NEED INFO ON LANDSTAR

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
At the end of one of the longest EO threads I have seen in a while, I loved DooWop's response. Those are the reasons I became an O/O. Why do I do all this and work so hard at it? I just simply don't want to work for someone else again. Through the course of things I have to do day to day running my own mini-business, I try to never forget that. It is a bit more complicated than that, but DooWop has the solid O/O foundation.
-Weave-

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Weave,

Just for the record. By post # 20...this is the longest thread we have ever had.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well gang lets not stop now!!!
This kinda thing can and will make you nuts!:7 :7 :7
Just read some of my posts, but not only mine}> }> }>
Hey Bill! I love ya to, If I could take a break don't you think I would???
I can't wait till I get that well deserved mid summer break!
I have my son do my trip for 2 weeks, while I do my other drivers trip for 1 week and I take off the other week.

Really DooWop I kinda look at it the same way, I like driving and doing the conctruction thing I'm always driving here there and everywhere anyhow, so why not let someone else not only pay for the fuel, but put some good money in my pocket too.

Well gang It's my bed time so! C-ya
Remember, stay safe, and have fun!!!
How many posts can it go???

stoney

Expert Expediter
I have been reading all the posts on landstar and simply want to say I am to go to orientation on the 17th of this month to start driving for them after a year being with fed ex. I drive a B unit and strongly feel I can do much better with landstar express america than where I am even knowing all the complications of getting to know the agents and how their system works.
I'm not afraid to take short runs or long ones for its all money to me. All I will ask is a fair shake by them to give me a chance to prove myself to them like I have with fed ex but there just arent enough loads with them to go around to make any good money.
Ok agents with landstar that read this, remember me when I sign on and let me prove to you my capabilities.
;)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm sure your capabilities are excellent, Mr. Stoney. Now we will see the true capabilities of Mr. Coopers' recruiting efforts. If you get a team mate, (Say Suzy telephone personality plus, unlike me Mr. Mono-tone) the agents will give you all the loads you can bear!! :D

stoney

Expert Expediter
Hi weave..thanks for your input but was hoping for more especially from some agents that have posted here that work for landstar and complain of drivers not taking shirt loads etc.
From the postings tho it looks as if most have abandand this sight for its been a month since last posting on this topic.
curius as to where everyone is. maybe now business has picked up and they dont have anymore gripes? never know huh.
I wasnt recruited by that guy you mentioned tho. I found out about landstar from my son-in-law and he explained to me he believed I could do much better with them than who I am presently contracted to.
Anyway I will keep checking here to see if any agents do care to answer my request.
No brag, just fact I am good at what I do just want to make more money at it is all like everyone else in the business..

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Stoney,
I was with LEA with a D unit for about a year during 2000. I liked the organization a lot, but then expediting slowed down and I was able to do something else with my truck.

The agents which were best for me were: Detroit, Omaha, Atlanta, and Grand Rapids. A hint for you about Omaha: the number listed on your contact sheet (and little blue book) gives you a recording. Instead of calling 888-601-4104, call 888-601-4105 and you will get a real person.
John & Elaine are former truckers and are great to work with. I was based in Detroit, so I did a lot with the Detroit agent. They bid on a lot of Ford business; they contact you to see if you will accept a load they are bidding on, and then they wait 20 or 30 minutes to see if they win the bid. If so, they contact you to give you the load; if not, you don't hear from them.

Be certain to get a nationwide cell phone plan (no long distance & no roaming charges) with lots of minutes, because you will call lots of agents to advise them of your availability.

Also be certain to get a reliable pager. I found CUE pager to be unreliable (lots of dead spots), and switched to Weblink and found them to be much better. You can contact them at 800-564-3571. I think that many expediters now get paging included with their cell phone plans, which you may want to check out instead of having a separate pager.

Good luck. Mike

evilspirit

Expert Expediter
I been with LEA for three months now, the first mo. was a little rough, better the next month. After learning the system and the agents, giving the agents time to learn who I was, things are going pretty good now. I'm running out of hours every week and occasionaly have loads lined up in advance, also have ran sister co loads and recieved decent rates. If you are willing to stay avaiable for long periods of time, run weekends and take the bad with the good runs, you can do well with LEA. Most of the ##### runs are short, but pay better per mi rate than average. Right now agents are losing loads because they don't have enough trucks to cover them.
Now is a good time, business is booming, it may not last but it is good now. Over 20 years of driving, these are the best people I've ever worked with.
Incidently, Landstar Systems recorded a record profit in the first quarter, can't do that if trucks are sitting.}> }>

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The ONLY Landstar agent I have ever been aware who has posted on this forum is JD Cooper, AKA Frozenrope. I am a charter member here (about 2 years) and thus know a bit about the folks who post. Mr. Cooper seems to know how to stand his ground, and I'm sure you'll put his LEA product to its test as a new driver.
-Weave-

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I'am going on my third year with fedex in a B unit. I've talked with many landstar drivers and most are very happy. For the last 6 months i've been on a "waiting list" to get on with Landstar. They keep saying that there are enough vans in my area. Cleveland. It must be that they can't find enough B freight like Fedex.

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
To think Landstar Express Agents load their trucks first is absolutely wrong!!! If you stop & think about the system Landstar Express America uses, which is NO FORCED DISPATCH & leaves the decision to accept the load up to you, who is going to do the loads none of the Trucks want?? Thats right!! The Agents trucks, (if they happen to have any of their own,whick most Agents don't). As everyone knows in the Expedite Business, you have to take the good loads with the bad loads, but guess who handles more bad loads then good?? Just wanted to put my 2 cents in!!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Weave?? Wheres your head?? Driver turnover is wide scale in the expedite industry. I know of 4 driver in the last 3 months that have left CTX, I know of 3 others that left Thompson Emerg, again in the last couple months, TST, Santana, Midnight Express, the same thing, any guess as to how many trucks are no longer with FedEx CC since April?? If there was no turnover, there would be no competition!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Hey KG,Have you spoke with Jeff Garra? he is our Recruiting & Rentention Agent in Michigan. Super nice Guy & can answer all you questions. His # is 800-793-1977. Landstar Express does have alot of van freight. I know alot of D Units that carry B Unit freight. Keep in mind they are being honest with you from the start. If there is an overflow of B units in your area, be thankful they aren't like other companies & just bring you on to add to the numbers. Keep in touch with Jeff Garra & if there is a spot for another B unit, take it!!

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Stoney, You will be received with open arms with Landstar Express America. Although its good to call the Agents & tell them where you are, you will see just as many Agents will call you. I am glad to see Landstar finally dropped the use of pagers & went direct to cell phones which will help you obtain more loads & no missed pages. Keep in touch with as many Agents as you can, but you don't have to over do it! A great office to stay in contact with is the office in Ontario, Canada.(even if you don't go to Canada). They will talk to you & after a few times of calling, they will know your voice & your name before you have a chance to tell them!! The entire Landstar Express Agent Group will keep you as busy as legally possible.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am giggling at you! Recruiters pride themselves on driver turnaround, it keeps them (you) employed. What does that have to do with my head? Well, all I do is ask, test, and report. My messages have shown that in the past, and will continue to do so. I talk to a lot of expedite trucking folks in the field, and make a note to write down their names (LOTS of friendly people!) and write down and keep track of their stories. I do not "bash" things unless necessary, and have not done so to Landstar. Hey, Landstar gives me lots of work!
My train of thinking, based on experience and what I do on the forums, focuses on looking out for the "newbie." There is nothing I hate more than seeing new truckers or owner operators get killed by overzealous recruiters with their "open arms." Those were some of the people I was referring to in my message #9. The ones who lost everything and didn't get a chance to become mere turn-around.
-Weave-

dog

Expert Expediter
Hey there, Stoney, how about an up date! It has been over a month now.
Are you running for Landstar Express America?:) :) :)

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Just for future reference, I am not a Recruiter & agree with you that Drivers have to be careful of Recruiters that only benefit from "signing on" new drivers. With Landstar Express America, its not all about bringing on the trucks, it is about retaining the trucks. The Recruiting & Retention Agents are Independent Business People, just like the drivers.

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Well, how many of you guys were in the service? Remember the RECRUITER that signed you up there? I think that says it all.:p

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Just F.Y.I. Landstar Express America is holding an Open House in November for all Expedite Drivers interested in learning more about the Company. Dates & Locations are yet to be decided, but I have asked to be informed so I can let all of you know.