Need info on Express 1

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I was wondering if anyone has any input on this company.I have met with them and im considering going to them but would like to hear from some people that drive for them.I have a D unit that i will be signing on with them or Fedex C.C. Thanks for any info.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am sure that there are a number of FedEx CC drivers out there that can tell you about signing on with them. You may want to post what the people at FedEx are telling you about your opportunities there.
There have been posting in the past about Express 1. If I remember correctly, the drivers liked the people but were unable to keep busy enough at that time. However, that was sometime last year. Things seemed to have improved in the industry since then.

Drive Safe

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well the recruiter at fedex is telling me that if i have to sit that i shouldnt sit more then 24hrs.Yeh i have heard that one before.They also said that i need to stay out at least 10 days at a time to make any kind of money witch i do know the more you stay out the greater chance you have of making more money.This is all at Fedex C.C.
As for Express 1 they seem to try and make it more flexible for you the owner operator.There pay starts at $1.15 per loaded mile.And i seen actual #s on what there drivers did last month and i could live on that no problem.Even after truck exspense.I know there are good and bad months but im just trying to find a company i would be comfortable at.I know that not all people are the same and You reall cant go buy what other people say.But opinions on companys do help.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hopefully you will hear from the people that drive for FedExCC. I may be mistaken, but it seems that the ones that do really well there are the teams.

I know the people at Express 1 are pretty good people. My experience with the smaller companies is they can often have a tough time getting loads back if they send you off of the main shipping lanes. If you are checking out companies, you may also want to check in with First Class in Rochester, MI or Just In Time in Plymouth, MI.

Good luck.

Drive Safe.

FR8MOVER

Expert Expediter
I was on with Express 1 for about a year, I left them in October last year due to lack of freight. They could usually get me out of the west side of Michigan but getting back was another story.. The people at Express are easily the best staff I have encountered in my Expediting career. Unfortunetly we all know niceness doesn't pay the bills!! If Express is getting better at bidding on NLM freight then its possible they improved since I was with them.. One place you will want to watch out for is HELP (a.k.a E.L Hollingsworth) they were among the worst I have ever leased myself to... Good Luck, Joey

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was with them a short time early last year. Not enough freight at that time so left. They are a nice bunch to work for though. If they got better at getting loads, I would recommend them. One piece of advice, do not put those big signs on the truck until your comfortable with them. Besides the cost you pay to have them put on, they are a :censoredsign: to get off. Try them for a couple months and if you like them, put them on. When I was with them, you lost 5 cents a mile for not having them on. I have heard that if you team it, fed ex is about the best. I wouldn't recommend expediting if your not teaming it unless you want alot of local or short runs. Good luck either way. Hope it works out for you. I got out of it last year but do miss it.
Randy

>I was wondering if anyone has any input on this company.I
>have met with them and im considering going to them but
>would like to hear from some people that drive for them.I
>have a D unit that i will be signing on with them or Fedex
>C.C. Thanks for any info.
:)

lighting

Expert Expediter
i was with them for a short time they are really nice folks i left because of deadhead if you get out of mi,in,oh. prepare to deadhead back if you get load.this was about a year ago may be differnt now it does cost alot to go there about 1300.00 they make money off the bat if you dont haul a load.i paid 25.00 wk for there satellite and it never worked has to us phone for all info

RED MAN

Expert Expediter
rollinthunder--I contracted with Express 1 in Buchanan,MI.for 3 months
in 2000.In addition to what you have been told in some of the other
posts,at that time they had COMPANY OWNED competing straight trucks
and cargo vans. I know for a fact that when freight was slow, guess
who got loaded first? Agreed,they are some of the best people to do
business with, but that does not pay the bills. Plus,their freight
lanes are concentrated in the upper mid-west--the most heavily
traveled area of the country--very little going south where I live.

RED MAN
Memphis

FR8MOVER

Expert Expediter
Lawrence do you know when they dumped their own fleet? Last I knew they still had their own trucks a couple months back... Thanks

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well i met with them and they only have 8 company drivers.I know some are for vans and what not.So as for getting to far past oh mi in thats fine for me.The #s i was showed on the computer for a actual driver who drove last month averaged around 8000+ loaded miles.I can live on that hell even less then that.I have a 2 income family so im not the sole provider.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'm not sure of their deadline, but I do know for a fact that they are 100% Owner Operator. The company drivers they have are no doubt last few they have and will not replace them.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Everybody is someone else's weirdo.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/weekly/Bean.gif
-----------------------------------------

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
I WOULD NEVER LEASED TO A COMPANY THAT LOADS YOU BASED ON WHAT YOU DID LAST WEEK OR MONTH.IF YOUR FIRST OUT YOU SHOULD GET THE LOAD AND NOT SOME BUM THAT HAS NO CLUE OF WHATS GOING ON. REMEMBER IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT THAT ANOTHER DRIVER CANT CUT IT OUT HERE.x(

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>I WOULD NEVER LEASED TO A COMPANY THAT LOADS YOU BASED ON
>WHAT YOU DID LAST WEEK OR MONTH.IF YOUR FIRST OUT YOU SHOULD
>GET THE LOAD AND NOT SOME BUM THAT HAS NO CLUE OF WHATS
>GOING ON. REMEMBER IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT THAT ANOTHER DRIVER
>CANT CUT IT OUT HERE.x(

Well granted they do try to keep miles between drivers fair.So what your telling me is you would rather work for a company that by the luck of the draw you kept getting the little 150 mile runs and only get maybe 1000 miles a week versus the other guy by luck is getting a couple of thousand miles a week.I came from company that did it that way a friend of mine would make $4000 or so every 2 weeks i made a $1000 i was never out of service and never turned a load away.But they went in rotation.First available.This went on week after week.So i think this subject is like assholes everyone has one.