Need advice regarding warranty denial

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Freightliner M2 with a DD13. 274,000 miles. 3 years old. Warranty good for 4 years, 500,000 miles.

Coolant was getting engine oil in it. Had it towed to shop. Verdict was engine cooler module was bad due to coolant eating thru housing.

Was told $7700 for repair and no warranty coverage due to lack of coolant maintenance. This was said without even asking to see any receipts for maintenance.

All maintenance receipts were provided which show all scheduled maintenance has been done before required intervals.

Still denied warranty. Have been arguing since last Friday about this and they will not even start the repair until they receive half the payment up front.

They said they contacted Detroit about it and because the results of the coolant tests were not annotated on the invoices, they will not cover the repair.

All maintenance has been done by Freightliner shops.

What options are available to get the truck repaired and back making money? If it's signed off on agreeing to let them do the work not under warranty, can we then turn it over to a lawyer to try and recover the money?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm amazed and disgusted that a company would try and use a loophole like "annotating" the test strip results on the invoice as a basis to get out of paying for the repair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using EO Forums mobile app

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had 10 Freightliners in the 80’s.
In 2001 I bought a new Western Star. Just as FL was buying them.
That was my last Freightliner/Detroit purchase.
Over silly crap like that !
A Detroit rep told me a repair would be covered if it was in a Century, but they wouldn’t cover the same repairs in my Western Star.
Been a happy Volvo and Peterbilt owner since.
Good Luck.

Reactions: jhead64

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would go ahead with repairs.
I would vigorously work with a rep to reach a solution.
Yes , you can get a lawyer afterwards,but that’s more time and money.

Let’s hear an opinion from our own Freightliner Reps , Bob and Linda Caffee.

Reactions: jhead64

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You say to work with a rep. Are you talking about someone at the dealership or with Detroit?

The thought of reaching out to the salesman hadn't occurred due to the truck being 3 years old. At your suggestion, a phone call will be made to him. Couldn't hurt

I would love to hear from the Caffees. Especially with Bob's background as a diesel mechanic.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another thought. I've heard of Ooida but don't really know anything about them. Is this situation something that they could help with? Maybe give advice on what steps to take?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the salesman would like you to buy another truck from him he ought to go fight for you like you were his own flesh and blood.
I would reach out to a Detroit Rep. I always, if possible, went to Cummins or Detroit for engine work.
In the 70’s had a new Pete, Cummins power.
Had a serious lack of power since new.
Cummins said Peterbilt problem.
Peterbilt said Cummins problem.
Sold truck after a few months. Took a hit ...,
With Volvo it’s like it’s yours, fix it.
Happily never had any large repairs to any of my Volvo’s.
Valve covers have been off to run overhead and that’s it.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: after many conversations back and forth with the shop, a call was put in to the salesman. He had his service manager call the shop and suddenly, the truck is now getting an inframe rebuild. And because they can't prove that anything was done wrong on our end, it will be covered under warranty. So a rebuild and a new engine cooler module on a motor with 274,000 miles!!

Unfortunately, it will be at least another week before the truck is done making it a total of 3 weeks of being in the shop. But at this point, I'm not complaining.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Congratulations.
Who’s the salesman willing to fight for his customer?
And what dealership?

If you want to tell us who the dealership that gave you a hard time is, that’s up to you.

Sounds like a good dealership to avoid when you have the option. ( My opinion of 90% of Freightliner dealerships.)