NEED ADVICE AND INFO...

Mikeint

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,

I'm truck driver with a CDL A and HazMat, and driving 18-wheeler (as a company driver)for about year and half. A couple of years ago (back in my home country in Europe) I used to drive cargo van and straight truck, and after all I could say, I enjoyed the most driving van.

After a year and half of truck driving I can say, that I'm tired of grocery warehouses, tired of lumpers, tired of weigh stations, tired of log books, and beside all this, I don't even make decent money. I've averaged below $600.00 total gross per week (in 2000).

Now I've got curious about this expedite business, because of opportunity to drive a cargo van. I'm not interested to drive straight trucks! I've checked postings on this site for last 6 months, and I've got some answers already, but... I still have so many questions. I need some input from you guys!

Some of you might say, now is not a good time to start this kind a business, but..... what is good now days anyway???

I live in Orlando FL, so is this area any good for expedite business, and what companies should be my best bet in this south-east area? Running van, it should be probably better to get a company that pays CPM instead of %, or maybe not?

Any special requirements for cargo vans? (size, make, engine type, payload capacity)

I understand that it depends a lot from the company, time of the year, area you run, and so on, but anyway, what is an average gross per week for cargo van, and what can I expect to bring home after all expenses. I did some math with my numbers and I'd like to compare with some real numbers.

If I understand, there is no log book for a cargo van. How about scale? In some states the signs says "all comercial vehicles must enter weigh station"! Is this still only for the trucks, or...?

If I drive a cargo van, can I park at the truck stop? As a truck driver, I've seen always straight trucks parked together with 18-wheelers, but I wasn't paying attention, if there are any vans arround.

I might have more questions, but for now, I'll be happy to get these answers first. And in case you guys know any other type of business beside expedite, that i could run OTR with cargo van, please let me know! Any other info, that might help me in my decision, would be appreciated.

You can post reply at this site, or send me an e-mail to: [email protected]

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon! Drive safe....

Mike

G

>I live in Orlando FL, so
>is this area any good
>for expedite business, and what
>companies should be my best
>bet in this south-east area?
>Running van, it should be
>probably better to get a
>company that pays CPM instead
>of %, or maybe not?

Mike, it might be tough finding expedited freight out of Florida.
To find loads it might be necessary, with many expediting companies, to relocate farther north to get the loads.

>Any special requirements for cargo vans?
>(size, make, engine type, payload
>capacity)

Most expediting companies will require a newer van(5-7years old or newer) 3/4 or 1 ton.

>I understand that it depends a
>lot from the company, time
>of the year, area you
>run, and so on, but
>anyway, what is an average
>gross per week for cargo
>van, and what can I
>expect to bring home after
>all expenses. I did some
>math with my numbers and
>I'd like to compare with
>some real numbers.

I wish I could give you an average income level for a van, but with so many variables in the business at this time, it's tough to give you a meaningful figure. Maybe one of the other expediters posting on this forum can give you their averages.
>
>If I understand, there is no
>log book for a cargo
>van. How about scale? In
>some states the signs says
>"all comercial vehicles must enter
>weigh station"! Is this still
>only for the trucks, or...?

You will have to stop at the scales in some states, Kentucky is one. For vehicles under 10,000 lbs. no logging required in most states unless under a placarded haz-mat load.

>If I drive a cargo van,
>can I park at the
>truck stop? As a truck
>driver, I've seen always straight
>trucks parked together with 18-wheelers,
>but I wasn't paying attention,
>if there are any vans
>arround.

You usually have more freedom of parking with a van; you're less likely to be hassled if parked in a mall or shopping center lot after hours. Truckstop parking is usually in the front lot with the cars.
>
>I might have more questions, but
>for now, I'll be happy
>to get these answers first.
>And in case you guys
>know any other type of
>business beside expedite, that i
>could run OTR with cargo
>van, please let me know!
>Any other info, that might
>help me in my decision,
>would be appreciated.

Just click on any of the expediting companies' banners on the front page of Expediters Online. com for an online application.
Some companies might be leasing cargo vans at the present time, some might have a "freeze" on that size unit right now.

As far as Over-the-Road work for a cargo van, expediting is probably the area most likely to have the longer mileage freight. An option you might consider if expediting isn't right for you is local air cargo delivery or even courier freight.

I hope some of this helps; maybe some of the expediters out there can give Mike some info?