Nations Express

ChopChop

Expert Expediter
Nations is a good company to run for. There are some things you need to know before you start. The only way to find out how many trucks are in a given area or what position you are on the board is to call in. The People Net system they use does not allow you to do that. After you deliver, you're on your own. Somewhat difficult to work with in a business where position is everything. As with any carrier you need to clarify the pay rate, the FSC (if any) and forced dispatch penalties (if any). Recruiting will tell you there is no penalty for turning down a load. Dispatch makes it clear that if you turn down a load you go to the bottom of the board. In the future, I will research a little closer to verify that recruiting and dispatch are on the same page, not on the little details but on the big things. That goes for any company I consider.
I can tell you from personal experience, I left a company that paid .80 per mile plus FSC to go to Nations paying 62% of the load plus FSC. Nations clearly states in their information that they pay an adverage of 1.00 per mile plus FSC (I'm going by memory here, but it's in that range). That is simply not the case. I can show you many loads that the .80 company paid more for the load than the 1.00 company. An actual example of this is I took a 322 mile load at .80 with a .16 FSC plus a flat fee of 72.50 for east coast. The total run paid the 309.12 plus 72.50 totaling 381.62 or 1.18 per mile. I ran almost the same run for Nations 318 miles and the total pay was 337.08 at 1.06 per mile.
In summary, Nations is a good company to run for, but I would also take a hard look at Conway, Fed-X, and Panther. You may find a certain level of professionalism that Nations has not acquired or chooses not to use.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I was recently shopping for a new carrier and I considered Nations at the top of my list. I talked to several of their owner operators and got mostly favorable feed back. When it got down to brass tacks, I found that most of their fees were higer than other companies and they had more of them.. It's hard enough to make a living in this business so I elected to choose another company.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I talked to them at the Dallas truck show in 2004. I don't remember if it was because I lived in Houston or something else but was told we wouldn't be a good fit. It's been so long I just can't remember the details but at one time they were on my 'suspect list'. My short list is now composed of Con-Way, FX, X1, P2, TransStewart and with enough experience to qualify Landstar.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.