MPG Kenworth & International

gojack

Expert Expediter
Anybody currently running either a
2002 or newer Kenworth T-300 / Pete 330 with a Cummins
Or a 2002 or newer International 4000 series truck w/ DT 466?
What's your HP and fuel consumption ???

Thanks

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My dad has '03 Int 4300, DT466 215HP, Allison auto. Averaging in the middle 9 MPG range.
-Weave-

gojack

Expert Expediter
Weave,

Thanks for the info

Looking at http://www.truckweb.com/hdx.htm
about Fort Wayne Truck Center's Kenworth Expediter HDX

"Drivetrain; Cummins, ISC 310HP  -"

"Plan on ten to fourteen miles per gallon, where you will fall depends
on speed, weight the terrain and you.  The engine loafs
in this application. "

No date referenced, or if he is talking about a EGR Cummins or not, hoping someone can give actual numbers, driving habits etc.,

off topic but have you seen this?
(article International put out about Cat 3126)

www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/pdf/dyk267.pdf

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very interesting article, I printed one for my references. Thanks!
-Weave-

I drove an FL70 with Cummins ISC 270HP in 1998. It had phenominal mileage, in the 12-13 MPG range, and many owners on this forum attest The ISC does get great MPG, but there have been some fuel pump and injector issues with it, and some complaints about it being too noisey. The new ISC's have unit injection, as opposed to the old pump-line-injector system of the older ISC's, and this is supposed to greatly improve reliability and get even better MPG. The ISC's 24 valve head is what helps it gain power and MPG advantages over the older designs of the INT DT466/530. These engines have similar cylinder displacements. The Mercedes MBE900 that I mentioned in the other post is a parent bore engine like the 3126.
-Weave-

gojack

Expert Expediter
Dear Abby,

I is confused.,

Or maybe I am just dense, but one thing I don't get,
How does horse power effect fuel economy?

Identical trucks ie;
Kenworth T300s 33,000 GVW
Eaton Ultrashift transmission,
Cummins ISC engine
same box, weight etc.,

How does the HP of the Cummins (240, 260, 285, 300 or 315)
effect the fuel usage? Is it HP or displacement or what?

I get that the bigger engine will pull weight/do hills better,

But assume level grade 55 mpg 33,000 lb. truck, it will take "X"
number of foot pounds ( or thrust or HP ) to keep it moving at a steady
55 mph.

So a 315 HP will be running less to generate "X" And a 240 HP is running harder to generate "X" using the same amount of fuel?

Better MPG with a bigger engine and higher rear-end gears and/or overdrive tranny?

Will the 315 last longer?

Signed

Confused

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Hey gojack the bigger the HP the bigger the fuel injectors. So that is where the mileage goes. The high HP trucks seem to get ran a little harder. I think weave has posted in the past that he had his big motor de-tuned and picked up in mileage, and lost nothing in performance.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, I had the power on my DDC S60 turned down from 470 to 360 HP. I didn't think 470 HP was necessary for a single axle straight truck made to scale only 10k lbs. Power could be turned back up in the future if another axle were added to carry heavier loads, but that has not been a necessity for me at this point. That additional 110 HP on the Detroit engine costs about 3.5 MPG, which would on average be about $8400 a year in unnecessary fuel costs for the 100k miles a year I average with fuel at $1.56 a gallon. It's a huge difference.
The changes take place in the programming of the control module, and adjust things such as injector dwell, turbo pressure, governed speed, etc.
-Weave-