MP Logistics INC, St Charles IL

rockytopman2

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know or have had any business dealings with MP Logistics INC, St Charles IL? Do any of you know who the principles of this Corp are? :confused::confused:

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Does anyone know or have had any business dealings with MP Logistics INC, St Charles IL? Do any of you know who the principles of this Corp are? :confused::confused:

Know the company and have done work for them. Owner's name is Peter Baranclaer (or something close to that). I've got his business card at home in my office. I'll PM the info to you.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Pete's a good family man and supports his family with the business. He's stand up all the way and never had issues about getting my money owed to me! He wanted me to do outside sales for him on commission, but I refused as I did that for another carrier and had a negative experience!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I like Pete. Chatted with him several times at conferences. We have only run a couple of loads for them so I really can't speak about their business practices. But I have no reason to think he's not 100% great.

rockytopman2

Seasoned Expediter
I like Pete. Chatted with him several times at conferences. We have only run a couple of loads for them so I really can't speak about their business practices. But I have no reason to think he's not 100% great.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to be sure it wasn't someone else by the same name that recently beat several drivers out of money by filing BK!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to be sure it wasn't someone else by the same name that recently beat several drivers out of money by filing BK!

You're thinking of Peter Haljean with T&K Trucking. I did work for him too! In fact I drove one of his cargo vans. Pete was always fair and straight up with me! Paid me what I was owed and on time. I'm sure in time Pete will regroup and get back into the business.

zeppelin

Active Expediter
MP is a Great family owned business based out of St. Charles, IL. They have been in business for 10 years. Primarily Cargo Vans & Sprinters and has their own customers and does not rely on posted loads from load boards. A good thing in this Expedited world of double brokering loads. I drive for them and have been happy for over three years.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You're thinking of Peter Haljean with T&K Trucking. I did work for him too! In fact I drove one of his cargo vans. Pete was always fair and straight up with me! Paid me what I was owed and on time. I'm sure in time Pete will regroup and get back into the business.

I think he is working for them now as a recruiter according to his linkedin profile.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I liked him. But again I just knew him at some trucking meetings. I didn't really work with him but he seemed nice enough.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I didn't really know him personally either. I just met him at the Expo a couple times. He sure could recruit the cargo vans though. Of course few of them were exclusive leases.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I hauled many loads for MP Logistics. They pay .90 for CVs and .95 for Sprinters. I was always paid the right amount on time and would reccomend this Co. to anyone. Peter even got me $125 for a no load one time.
Here is a problem I see in the future. This company, and others, don't pay, or have a blanket policy for liability insurance. I doubt they are big enough to afford one. With the "new look CV insurance rates, about $500 a month increase, I can't see a independent driver earnig enough to justify hauling for them. $500 is about a weeks pay after fuel. Some of you will say great, thin the heard some more. I say it's just another foot in the face of small business.
I find it curious, that Peter Haljean of the late T&K, who was almost universally despised on these pages after screwing OOs out of many, many thousands of dollars is now found to be not to bad of a guy.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think the insurance is just coming in line with the tue cost vs true exposure. It is honestly that simple. I am all for small business as that's where we started. But I also believe in a fair, proper, legal even playing field. The insurance is just coming in line with that now.

As for Peter I have read a lot in here and have my personal opinions on some subjects. But I didn't deal with him on that side of the business so I can not comment as too it. He was always cordial and such with me. But I wasn't contracted to him or trying to get paid from him. So those views are vastly different.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I think the insurance is just coming in line with the tue cost vs true exposure. It is honestly that simple. I am all for small business as that's where we started. But I also believe in a fair, proper, legal even playing field. The insurance is just coming in line with that now.

As for Peter I have read a lot in here and have my personal opinions on some subjects. But I didn't deal with him on that side of the business so I can not comment as too it. He was always cordial and such with me. But I wasn't contracted to him or trying to get paid from him. So those views are vastly different.

When we discuss CV insurance for independents, we're pretty much talking Progressive. I personally find it hard to believe that, with their army of accountants, Progressive ever charged a rate they couldn't make a profit on. Maybe they discovered they were in a position to charge whatever the market would bear. As for exposure, a properly administered additional insured program would help. For the extra $20 they charge they could give 24 hour notice of cancellation. Better yet: a 3 day non-refundable deposit. If a OO canceled or their policy expired the carrier would be notified that the OO's policy would expire in 3 days. This would give drivers time to finish a load. As for sleezy carriers, I don't believe a solution ridding our industry of them, should be so difficult as to cause a 300% increase OO rates. No one was interested in solving; just eliminating the problem.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
I'd like to know how the broker files a freight claim on a milti-carrier truck? If a driver gets into an accident isn't the company he is moving the load for responsible for paying the cargo claim? The multi-carrier drivers insurance could refuse to pay the cargo claim because the load was not brokered to that driver. The insurance company of the company that the mlti-carrier driver is leased to can refuse to pay the cargo claim on the grounds of that the driver is not on the carriers policy. In order for all parties to be legit and protected, the multi-carrier driver would have to have his own MC number and trucking company and the company that give him the load should have broker authority, a broker agreement on file with the driver, and a rate sheet that the load was brokered to the multi-carrier drivers truck. Am I missing something here. I may be wrong but I don't think there has been a major cargo claim on a cargo van yet; at least not high enough to cause this type of catch 22 insurance scenario. But when it does happen, I don't think any rational broker would put their cargo on a multi-carrier drivers truck.

RoadHouse

Active Expediter
Also, brokering the load to the driver weld be double brokering. Lets say Panther has a broker agreement with ABC Expedite company and ABC Expedite company gives that load to a driver with his own cargo insurance and that drivers truck catches on fire and burns up. Who pays for the freight damages? Panther will contact the carriers insurance company for a claim because that is the only cargo insurance that Panther would have on file. The contract is between the broker and the carrier, not the broker and the driver. This is a pretty sketchy legal area to be in as a carrier. This practice continues to happen because cargo vans rarely have freight claims. But if something like this were to happen to such a small company, wouldn't that company be sued right out of business? It seems like the muti-carrier drivers are living life on the edge. That's why I stick with one company!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FWIW, for about a year I drove for two companies. Thought I might make more money that way. It was my worst year ever. I've been driving for one company these past couple of years, not great but with fewer problems anyway. If I would change-- MP might make a good change, I'll give it a consideration-- today my inclination is to make a clean jump from one company to the next-- just like you would if changing from one full-time job to another one. Fewer issues that way.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've had three calls this week from cargo van people wanting to add us as another company on top of the couple they already have. The funny thing is that these people routinely refer to the carriers as brokers. I'll take a call and a guy is saying he'd like to add another broker. When people say that I usually say something like, "We can do that if you have carrier authority and sign a broker/carrier agreement, but we're going to load our own vehicles first before we load a partner carrier." At this point I usually have a very confused person on the other end who doesn't really understand much at all. I think I've turned down over 10 in the last week or two.

zeppelin

Active Expediter
As long as the owner of the vehicle has everybody connected with the load listed as Addition Insured I don't see what the problem could be.
Additional insured means the broker holds the owners insurance while carrying his freight. That would primarily be geared towards the cargo insurance. That's what the broker would be concerned about. The broker probably could give a rats a-- about the primary unless a fatality was involved.
All just my opinion due to I am not a listened insurance agent.
Have fun today.