More questions as I prepare. Put on your glasses

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, my goal is still mid-April to become an expedite driver. I haven't given notice at work, but I need to soon as they have plans for me to do quite a few programming projects for the bar coding system I have set up for them. I need to give them enough time to get somebody in to be trained.

I'm getting together an information packet that I can give out at MATS in the event I meet somebody who can help, and, to pre-qualify me at some of the expediting companies with booths at the show.

I have a few questions about working for an O/O.

I know that if I were a company driver for Swift or Werner, my tractor would be empty of most things when I get it. My creature comforts would have to be provided by me. Fridge, microwave, cb, XM, tv, etc. I would like to be prepared by having purchased everything I need before hiring on so that I don't have to bother with it when I'm supposed to be out driving my butt off earning my new great income.

What would I expect the truck to have when I go to work? Would this be one of those things that is determined before showing up to drive? If I go team to start while I learn the trade, can I assume my team driver will have outfitted the truck? When I was training with American Eagle, my trainer didn't have a cb, had a cooler to pass off as a fridge, and the radio was what came with the truck which was worthless while I drove every night for him while he slept soundly in the sleeper!! (Do I sound bitter?) I have XM. I can buy a cb, a decent fridge, tv, microwave. I just don't want to spend the money before I know what I should expect.

Will it be easier to get a team postition to start? I prefer solo, but I know that if I want to learn, I need an experience person to train me on what is different about expediting.

I asked previously about money in the bank. I was told it wasn't important as a "company" driver. But, I've seen a thread here that talks about the length of time it takes to get paid. Will most O/Os pay their driver regardless of the time it takes them to get paid by the expedite company?

Should I try to connect with an O/O now, or wait until a week or so before I give my notice at work? What amount of time would I expect from the time I contact/am contacted before I begin driving? My assumption is that O/Os don't have trucks sitting around without drivers. When one empties, they want a driver now and can't afford to be waiting on somebody to arrive 3 weeks down the road.

Based on the previous paragraph, is that why it is important to be pre-qualified by a company? I doubt if all potential drivers spend a couple of weeks traveling from company to company attending orientation so that they can say they are qualified. Can you suggest something.

Ok. This novel is finished. I'm sorry if the questions seem naive, but I just don't know the answers.

Thanks all.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: More questions as I prepare. Put on your glas

>
>I have a few questions about working for an O/O.
>
>I know that if I were a company driver for Swift or Werner,
>my tractor would be empty of most things when I get it. My
>creature comforts would have to be provided by me. Fridge,
>microwave, cb, XM, tv, etc.

With regard to the creature comforts: many, if not most, expediter trucks usually have a frig, microwave, tv, and even cb's in the trucks when you drive for an owner. I should preface this statement by stating that the owners we know provide these items and when we drove for an owner our truck had these items included as well as a porta pot and some even have generators installed on their trucks.

>Will it be easier to get a team postition to start? I
>prefer solo, but I know that if I want to learn, I need an
>experience person to train me on what is different about
>expediting.

Well, teams are preferred as far as I have heard,especially a team that is a "couple" ie where the money goes into one pot so to speak. You can either approach owners as a team already by finding your own co-driver or I have heard that many will match two drivers together. Now, bare in mind, if you are a non-couple team you may run more and potentially make more money gross but the proceeds of the truck is split between each of you, as well as the fuel costs if you should opt to have a deal where you pay the fuel. I have heard of owners taking on a co-driver with that individual being paid a flat rate as opposed to a split scenerio. With regard to the training aspect, you will attend some sort of orientation with which ever company you will run with that will dictate paperwork procedures, quallcomm issues, etc. (I am assuming you have driving exerience already.)

>I asked previously about money in the bank. I was told it
>wasn't important as a "company" driver. But, I've seen a
>thread here that talks about the length of time it takes to
>get paid. Will most O/Os pay their driver regardless of the
>time it takes them to get paid by the expedite company?

I saw that tread as well...I was frankly, shocked to read that some drivers are expected to essentially pay to run on their own money for the owner for the first month. Well, unless things have changed dramatically since we started this profession, this seems wrong...very wrong to me. We first started with an owner who had trucks on with two companies, tri-state and roberts. We were with roberts,(aka fedexcc). When we completed orientation, the owner gave us a comdata card. At the time, roberts would load 50% of the load on your card, thus, our very first load we were paid 50% on the spot. This card can be used as you may know already for fuel purchases and atm withdrawals. So, the short of this is...you should not have to pay someone up front to run for them in my opinion.

>Should I try to connect with an O/O now, or wait until a
>week or so before I give my notice at work? What amount of
>time would I expect from the time I contact/am contacted
>before I begin driving? My assumption is that O/Os don't
>have trucks sitting around without drivers. When one
>empties, they want a driver now and can't afford to be
>waiting on somebody to arrive 3 weeks down the road.

Yes connect now. NO, don't quit your job yet. Suprisingly, many owners do have trucks available all the time. BUT, I would beware of the owner who has a high turnover of drivers. AND ask the owner for names and telephone numbers of people who have driven for him so that you may speak with them and find out how that owner is to drive for.

>Based on the previous paragraph, is that why it is important
>to be pre-qualified by a company? I doubt if all potential
>drivers spend a couple of weeks traveling from company to
>company attending orientation so that they can say they are
>qualified. Can you suggest something.

I am not really sure what you mean by this...the qualifications with regards to many expediting companies is pretty standard ie good driving record, good drug test, class B license with haz endorsement, etc. Many owners have vehicles on with only one or two companies, therefore, you "qualify" with that particular company before you drive for them. Most "qualifing" is done at the company orientation and with your initial interview with the owner. I would also say that generally if you qualify for one company you qualify for most all of them.

BTW, I think that we are in a drivers market now, so, be choosy, you make sure you look around and find out what owners offer what. ie 60/40 splits etc.

Take care, I hope this answered some of your questions and maybe we will see you at the MATS!

mcbride-

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RE: More questions as I prepare. Put on your glas

Hey there. Thanks for the rapid response. 'Preciate your input.

What I meant about the pre-qualifying does look confusing now that I have re-read it. I suppose what I was asking was if I should send an application into all the companies out there. But, now that I think about it, I should qualify for them all (Class A/Hazmat), except for FedEx unless I can get on as a second seat driver.

Monty from Trucknet, along with your reply, makes me think that going team won't be necessary. And, since I have no spouse or anyone I think I would like to drive with, I'll stick to the solo if there are opportunities out there.

Glad to hear it's a driver's market. That will really help. Time for me to post a classified on this site to see if I can get some interest started.

Yes, I will be at MATS. Hope to see a lot of people there.

Thanks.