Mirror Heaters

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Be coutious when turning on mirror heaters in extreme cold climates. I turned mine on to remove some ice in -15 degree windchill, and both mirrors cracked. Now I've got seven years of bad luck- Yay.
--Weave--

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Sounds to me like you need to buy a new truck.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wow. i wonder if the manufacturer's intended for us to have them on constantly during cold weather... Thanks for the head's up on this, Weave!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Talked with parts guys @ freightliner dealership where I bought replacements at. They had not heard of this happening, and I guess it was a case of bum luck. But it was interesting how both broke nearly identical, vertically straight up the middle. They were only about $80 for the pair, so I'm not upset. My throttle return springs have a habit of breaking off in extreme cold temps too.
-Weave- (A product of Murphy's Law Corporation)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave I have never had trouble with the mirrors but about 3 weeks ago,I was coming down I 79 in West Va at night,the temp was about 14 degrees and my throttle linkage fell apart.I was able to repair it,kept going and it fell apart the next morning near Atlanta.I put it all back together again and when I arrived home took the truck to my local freightliner dealer with those highy trained ASCME technicians and the mechanic showed me how the springs were worn out and needed to be replaced.It cost $188 but all seems to be OK now.The springs in question were in the linkage that comes from the throttle cable and hooks into the injector pump..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm gonna take it your truck has a Cummins B or C series engine. Yes, you have to REALLY tighten the linkage down on the Bosch injection pump. I think when it gets loose and stays that way for a while the shaft will have a groove worn into it. You can pull the arm out about 1/8 of an inch and tighten the link down again, using a 10mm socket and backup wrench. Replace the throttle return spring (Its made to use two, but two will make your leg hurt so just put one on, and keep spares) And re-align the throttle cable bracket. And if the link remains tight when checked on occasion, this will save you from an injection pump rebuild.
-Weave- From mirrors to stupid engines I THINK I've just about broke everything!