minimum endorsements

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Is there a study guide or something that could help me with the inspection portion of the pretrip for the air brakes? I am completely clueless when it comes to them. I understand the pressure needed and the valves, but having never seen one, I am just going on words. Also, anyone know who might have a 24 Ft. FedEX CC truck sitting out on Old 54 in New Port Richey FL? Been there over a week, with no signs of life. Thought if they were local, I might look at there brakes. But don't want to mess with it without permission, not even to stand and stare too long ya know. ;)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
go to your local Florida Drivers license office. They have a CDL manual that will guide you through air/brakes,haz/mat and so on.

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Rich, I have that, I meant something with at least pictures of what compnents they are talking about. Kinda hard to visualize in my mind having never seen one up close ya know. :)

raceman

Veteran Expediter
All good advice to this point. Not knowing what you really want to do, I offer the following. Get a class A with all endorsements. You then have some marketable skills if this does not work out for you. You will be limited to what is availible to you with only a class B with air brakes. Good luck with your decision.

To study for a pretrip you can go to a truck dealer and tell them what you are doing and most will allow you to walk around a truck and look things over. Some will actually take the time to help explain it to you if you tell them once you have your CDL you may be buying.

Raceman
OTR O/O

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sawbones, the truck in New Port Richie, go ahead and look at it, although it won't be there much longer. Call me at 434-846-0605 if you need assistance.

For help with understanding air brakes, goto Google and enter the words "truck air brakes" in the search line. Links will pop up from all over US and Canada about air brakes, including some sites with sample tests you can take and get your grade online.

Vernon in C2197

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sawbones, I know you asked about "Minimum", but may I suggest you get everything you can. It doesn't cost extra to take the extra tests, at least in Ohio, but if you leave one off.. (as I did) and then go back because you need it at another job, you have to do everything again.

Having the extra endorsements can mean the difference in job offers, if you're in between expedite jobs, or afterwards.

I currently have CDL B with airbrakes, plus X endorsement (Hazmat and Tanker). When I was in between expedite Owner Operators, I was in demand around here.. (Ohio)... I had my choice of Farm Supply co's, Propane, Fuel delivery, etc... (I ended up hauling Anhydrous Ammonia for Farm Supply)..

Anything that enhances your employability is a plus.... and, with the new Hazmat regs, background checks, etc... many drivers are dropping the Hazmat... no way will I drop mine... that's one more advantage...

As they say, just my 2.. !!

[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_109.gif"]

Sawbones

Expert Expediter
Truck in New Port Richie

Hey, checked out the truck, twice now, saw it was still here today. I thought you would have had it out making money by now. Did someone abandon it on ya? Anyway, nice truck, and I appreciate the oppurtunity to climb up on it and look through the windows at it. I assume you are an owner then? Anyway, have a great day and I hope to see ya on the road in a few months.:)