Mileage vs Percentage

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
I know the topic has been beat to death but it's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm an owner operator in a straight truck working for a very small carrier, what would be a fair percentage split? They want me to take 60/40! And would it be fair for me to ask for documentation on the agreed quote on a run?

Sent from my SM-N950U using EO Forums mobile app

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
62 % is pretty common.
Since you’re just starting, I’d ask for rate confirmation from the start. Every Load, as part of your normal payroll.
It’s a good habit if they agree.
If not, I’d always have suspicions.

By law, you have the right to know.

Reactions: rjthetightway

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Milage is the best. That way you alwsys know what the load is paying. I pay my van drivers .80 per loaded miles. They also get all detention pay if there is any. For example 800 mile run loaded at .80 per mile pays you $640 in your back pocket 756 miles pays you 604.80 I would never take a load or drive for someone who pays by percentage unless you know 100% what the total load cost up front.

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
Milage is the best. That way you alwsys know what the load is paying. I pay my van drivers .80 per loaded miles. They also get all detention pay if there is any. For example 800 mile run loaded at .80 per mile pays you $640 in your back pocket 756 miles pays you 604.80 I would never take a load or drive for someone who pays by percentage unless you know 100% what the total load cost up front.
I agree with you but not sure what to ask per mile on straight trucks...

Sent from my SM-N950U using EO Forums mobile app

Living the dream

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are getting 1.40 per mile or more that's good. If you are getting 60 percent of 1.40 per mile. Your better off working in a warehouse loading an unloading trucks when you figure out your monthly expenses.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually detention pay is simply delay pay. Pay to compensate you for delays loading or unloading you.
Many carriers don’t want to punish customers for their inefficiency. Plus, it doesn’t cost a carrier for the driver to sit there for no compensation.
Sad.

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im thinking about getting into expediting starting out with a cargo van what do you guys think is the best way to start try to lease on with a company.?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im thinking about getting into expediting starting out with a cargo van what do you guys think is the best way to start try to lease on with a company.?

Research and more research! Go back a couple years on this Forum; not every word of course, but enough to get a solid idea.

DO NOT RUSH OUT AND GET A VAN!

Shop carefully; Sprinters tend to have emissions problems and Promasters and Transits are still new technology, which takes a few years to be perfected.

Can you get a CDL? If you can, you may be wiser to drive a straight truck. AGAIN, PUT THE WALLET AWAY! That is a skill best learned by driving for someone, preferably a good crew like Expediter Services.

Last but not least, remove thyself hence unto ye olde Expo, in Lexington KY this July. It’s a good time and a most excellent learning experience

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use to own a cab company office mechanic facilities exc with 24- hour dispatch & lease out taxis 24-7 but uber pretty much wrecked the taxi industry.

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you think its possible to run a straight truck from only the freight boards or do you have to be leased on with a company to keep the truck moving.?