michigan companies

gexcel500

Expert Expediter
Does anyone have an opinion about Radio Transfer in Grand Rapids Mi. or First Class Expediting out of Rochester? Both are looking for o/o. Hoping to get some insight about these companies from anyone with experience with them. Thanks

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been driving for First Class for the past couple of month's. They were one of the few companies that would hire me knowing that I was only interested in driving about 4 - 5 months out of the year.

I would say that 80% of their work is Detroit area automotive. They recently picked up all of Ford Powertrain and were looking for additional drivers. There seems to be a major problem in getting return loads if they send you outside of the Detroit area. I went to Kansas City & Minn. and had to come back empty to Chicago to get a load. This week I went to Cleveland and after waiting 24 hours came back empty. So far I would say that 80% of my return miles from outside of Detroit area have been empty miles (and there has been no offer to pay any travel miles). I generally will not sit for longer than 24 hours to see if I can get a load out of the city and back towards Detroit.

This week they asked if I wanted to take a load to Larado, Texas.

Dispatchers do not seem to grasp the problem with the deadhead miles. After being unloaded in both Three Rivers, MI and Cleveland, in the past week, the dispatcher didn't hesitate in telling me to go ahead and start to drive back to Detroit (empty!!). It turned out that they were right, I never did get a load after waiting until the next day.

The people there are very easy to work with. The pay is based on a percentage. I have a 24' truck and get a lot of local, less than full loads that pays me $60 - $90 per load (between 2 and 4 loads per day). I choose to be home nearly every weekend and most nights. They ask that you be available at least one weekend per month. If I stayed out of the house longer I would probably get more loads.

For someone like me that is semi-retired (what ever that means) and has other sources of income, this isn't a bad deal. I haven't had any trouble taking extra time off.

Hope this helps. If anyone knows of another "expeditor" in this area that would be willing to work with a seasonal driver, I would like to hear what other companys offer.

Hope this helps.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When I was checking out the RV movers in indiana, they started late december and run until june or july (there busy time). I was going to put a flat bed on my truck and do haul and tow but decided not to. Need something to stay busy all year. If you want some phone numbers to them, let me know. They are in the elkheart area.
Randy
:)

G

For what it's worth, I just spoke with an acquaintance of ours who just went to work for an owner leased to Radio Transfer. Anyhow, he said he turned *ONE* load last week. We turned 5 loads last week, and took a day off, to boot. No, WE'RE not leased to Radio.