Mexican trucking pilot program

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
FYI from OOIDA.

This will be anchored until vote is taken in House and Senate.

Please contact your U.S. Senators and your Congressman and ask them to support your views on the Mexican trucking pilot program.

October 30, 2007

As you well know, for more than a year OOIDA has been actively fighting to stop the U.S. Department of Transportation's efforts to implement a Mexican trucking pilot program and open our highways to Mexico-domiciled trucks and drivers. You may recall that earlier this year amendments to cut off funding for the DOT's Mexican trucking pilot program were included in both the U.S. House of Representatives' and Senate's respective versions of the fiscal year 2008 transportation appropriations bills. In July, the House unanimously passed an additional amendment, sponsored by Representatives DeFazio, Hunter, Boyda and Gary Miller, that would also seek to halt the program. Then in September, the Senate passed its version of a similar amendment sponsored by Senators Dorgan and Specter by a vote of 75-23.

Since then, Congress has been in a standoff with the White House on the transportation appropriations bill and all 11 other annual spending bills. This stalemate has kept the House and Senate from moving forward with a conference committee to work out the differences in their versions of the transportation bill and from sending a final version to the President. After much anticipation, we are hearing that there may finally be a breakthrough this week. No one is sure yet how the situation will play out, but in some form or fashion the FY2008 transportation appropriations should be sent to the President by the end of this week.

Congress is trying to reach a deal with the President so that he will not veto the unfinished appropriations bills. The DOT is working hard to make the Mexican trucking pilot program a bargaining chip in Congress's negotiations with the White House. Even if they cannot get them removed from the final version of the transportation appropriations bill, the DOT is hoping to get the Dorgan and DeFazio amendments watered down enough to allow the pilot program to continue to operate.

As I have said before, we are truly fighting a unique and historic battle. One in which the DOT continues to roll forward in defiance of Congress, the American people, and the laws of our land. Instead of implementing and abiding by the laws that have been written by Congress, the executive branch of our government is clearly ignoring their Constitutional responsibilities and limitations. Rest assured that your Association is doing everything that we possibly can to reign in the DOT. As a member of OOIDA and as a citizen of the United States, please do all that you can to help put a stop to this program.

Please call and fax all of your elected representatives in Washington D.C., both of your U.S. Senators and your Congressman. They need to hear from you as soon as possible and continue to hear from you until all funding is stripped from the Mexican trucking pilot program. Also, please ask your family, friends and acquaintances to contact their lawmakers. Operators at the U.S. Capitol Switchboard (202- 224-3121) can connect you to the offices of your elected officials. If you are not sure who your Representative or Senators are, the operators will ask for your zip code and put you through to their offices. You are also welcome to call the Association at 800-444-5791, we will be happy to look up telephone and fax numbers for you.

Please know that your Association is working hard on your behalf and please do whatever you can to help. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but we are going to have to keep fighting to get to it.

With sincere appreciation,

Jim Johnston

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I made another call to both my Senator's and my Congressman's local offices telling them again this is a program that is not safe for our families and our highways and they must do whatever they can to see to it that it's terminated.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The post about the $25 million of drugs needs to be brought to the attention of everyone's elected officials as just an example of what to expect if this moronic plan is allowed to go through. Get on the phone!

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I've ordered my cow catcher for my truck,am learning spanish,and since all those Mexicans are comming up here,I'm going down there.There will be a shortage of drivers in Mexico_Ok dont be jumping on my butt,just being facetious.My senator and congressman's secratary's are getting to know me by my voice,but I dont get to talk to any one,so I sent them long Emails.And now Mexico is cutting down on oil production,is that to get even.