Mercedes Benz MB-900 EGR Valve/Cooler

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Havent seen anyone talk about this persistant problem. I am on replacement number five in five years owning my Freightliner M2-106. Just replaced both after having it done 8 months ago. I know there are a lot of you folks out there who have experienced the joys of buying and adding coolent to get to a shop to do the repair. Anyone care to weigh-in on this subject??

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I had one done about 290,000 and they found a trace of coolant in the oil so they checked the crank for pitting.They had to drop the oil pan for this but i did get a good pic of what was going on.I've got 315,000 on it and it's fine so far,my egr valve went out about 150,000 and they checked the cooler and it was fine.Has the shop given ya any good reason why your going thur so many of them? what's the warranty on the part? gotta be 6 months or so.I don't have any answers just my experience,the shop that did mine says they made some changes on them cause of all the trouble they are having with them.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had one cooler replaced, no valve problems. I'm at 352k on the odometer.

I talked with a lady driving a truck exactly like mine and she was having lots of problems. She drives the truck like she's racing to save a baby from a burning building all the time. I don't. It's a low horse power, class 7 truck and I treat it as such. Is that the difference? I'm not sure.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
There's a check valve that is supposed to be added when a new one is installed. Ask your dealer to research the TSB's (technical service bulletins...but I believe Daimler calls them something else) for that info.

Mine's been replaced twice. We'll go over 500k on the clock in
probably 1.5 weeks.

BTW, warranty is one year on parts, and I believe 120 days on the labor.

Hope that helps.

crazytruckin

Expert Expediter
Thanks for you guy's replies. In all the replacements I've had done no one has been able to give me a reason why for all the failures. Yes, after the previous repair to the one I just had done they did put the check valve on so juries still out on that "fix" since I still had a failure.....again. Yep after the normal truck warrenty is expired and I paid for the repair they did the repair at good old Freightliner at no cost but I was told the next one is on me. Whats interesting to me in your replies is that you have replaced either a cooler or egr valve. Every time I have had a problem with the cooler they have said the valve was also bad.

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
We have the same issue. Truck is 4 years old with 500k and has had 4 egr's in that time. We have been through 2 of those replacements with both the egr and cooler being replaced since
we purchased the truck.
First time we put on new parts. When we hit the next failure, we found out that the warranty was only 6 months on new parts. We had to pay for parts and labor. We put on reman
parts this time as the warranty on them is 100k or 1 year.
This was just opposite from what we thought. We have yet to
find out why these keep failing. We know that a lot of folks
with this engine have this problem. Bad design is all we've
been told. Still searching for a solution.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I am driving an '07 M2 with an '06 MBE900. I have been having to add coolant after a long trip, and cannot figure out where it is going. I do not own this truck, but when I got in it in May, the coolant was almost pure water. I figured previous drivers just replaced coolant with water. I found the APU water pump leaking, replaced it. The problem seemed to stop. Now, I'm losing more coolant than before. I don't see any signs of water in engine oil. Is coolant loss a sign of EGR Valve/ Cooler failure?

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

ashmeed2298

Seasoned Expediter
I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

could u please send me a copy at [email protected].....i am having this problem and i want to repair without going to freightliner for this fix because i changed 2 times already spending over 3k each time..they are ripp off...did u take out egr and clean it....did it work...thanks

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I ended up having both replaced, but went to a Detroit engine shop to get work done. One yr. parts and labor warranty on new parts. I saw coolant going down, got an oil analysis, showed high potasium. I will keep checking oil every oil change to catch problem early, hopefully it won't need it again.

ashmeed2298

Seasoned Expediter

could u please send me a copy of this at [email protected]

Wilca2001

Seasoned Expediter
It is a well known problem by the Freigthliner dealers. After inquiring about I found out that Detroit Diesel sent an email/memo to all of them about the issue, but they didn't want expend any money doing a recall.

The solution, as I was told and I did, is to install a high pression relief valve between the radiator and the reservior antifreeze thank. If you ask the dealer to do it for you it could cost you $150.00 and up. Instead you can buy the valve ($32.00) and install it yourself with a couple of clamps. It has an arrow showing you what direction to install and make sure it's closest to the radiator as possible.

I never have and not expecting either any problems with the EGR.

Good luck

rix979

Seasoned Expediter

could u please send me a copy at [email protected].....i am having this problem and i want to repair without going to freightliner for this fix .

lonnieg5962

Active Expediter

i to would also like a copy of service bulliten iam on my 3rd egr and cooler i would also like contact info for detroit/mercededs rep. send to [email protected] thanks lonnie

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was just reading an update about EGR valve's and failure's. Before you R&R your EGR take some spray cleaner (do not use brake parts cleaner, to hard on the plastics) and clean your MAP sensor. If your MAP senser gets plugged up with soot and dirt it will sometimes interfere with EGR functions. I can try and cut and paste the article on here but it might be to much. They say to clean the MAP sensor on a regular basis. All newer model trucks have them. They also say that keeping it clean helps fuel mileage by as much as 1/2 mpg.
Again use a regular MAP sensor spray cleaner, remove the MAP sensor, clean the entire valve and electronic connectors, let it dry thoroughly before reconnecting the plug.

Hope that helped some.
This is good on all diesels, not just Sprinters.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I might ad where to find the MAP sensor. You will find the MAP sensor somewhere around the valve covers. It will have a electric plug and sometimes small hose going to it.
The sensor on the air intake is a MAF sensor. Thats only on newer models.
By the way all engines have them so it doesn't hurt to clean them on any type engine gas or diesel.

patchac

Active Expediter

Please send copy of service bulletin to: [email protected]

DustyRoads

Active Expediter

Can you please send me a copy.Thanks
[email protected]