Mercedes and Volvo engines

aileron

Expert Expediter
Got a few questions for you tractor trailer drivers out there.

My dad has been an owner operator for a long time now. He has owned a couple of kws, an internatioal and currently a Peterbilt 387, with all 3 types of engines: Cummins, Detroit and Cat. Poor pete has about 1.5 million miles and needs to be retired pretty soon.

He wants to try now either a Volvo or a Freightliner Cascadia.

Now the questions:
How does the Mercedes and Volvo engines compare to the Detroit engine (this is his choice if mercedes or volvo don't seem to be beter)?
Are they more fuel efficient? Reliability? Price of parts?
Thanks in advance.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have friend with a fleet of tractor trailers,he uses Freightliners and a few have the Mercedes engine.He gets great fuel mileage with the Mercedes,but it has a lack of power in the mountains with a heavy load.My Freightliner dealer told me the same thing.Im told the big hp Volvo doesnt have a loss of power,but doesnt have the fuel mileage either.Dont know much about the new DD15,but its suppose to be the best of the best.If I were buying a new Cascadia,thats what Id put in it.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i have the 4000 and never have had a power problem,as a matter of fact we had 10,220 over limit one time(don't want to talk about it) and wear passing 18 wheelers uphill on 4,5 and 6 graded hills.Easily passing no strain.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
im talking about trucks grossing 80000 lbs, not straight trucks.Doesnt take much horsepower to move a truck grossing 40000lbs

aileron

Expert Expediter
Night,
Thanks for your reply. That is what I was after, tractor being loaded up to 80000.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I've chatted with a couple of Quebec drivers running the new D16 volvo unit. It hauls quite well and the guys love it in the hills as less downshifting. They claim reasonable fuel economy compared to their past units but love the power of this new engine when loaded.
Rob

matt73

Seasoned Expediter
The company I'm with runs freightliner,volvo and internationals.The mercedes has good fuel mileage but lacks the power for hauling heavy loads espacially uphill.Our volvo's have cummins isx and volvo engines,the volvo's are always in the shop and the cummins is running 1.4 more mpg than the volvo.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
The cascadia is loaded with problems........the rate of warranty repairs needed is extremely high. I would wait for a year or two on a cascadia....volvo's are very good trucks. We have a series 60 detroit in our columbia that we love.....we have drivers in a Intl with a CUmmins....only problem so far has been egr issue in 200000 miles. Have no engine problems with the series 60 in 500000 miles (actually have 2 with DD series 60) Same story with both. GREAT fuel mileage and power. No problems with the Volvo either so far. Most problems....CAT in a KW t2000........piece of crap. The only one we will never buy again.

-charlotte