Meal expenses for days returning home

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I know you must be away overnight to claim the standard deduction but what about meals purchased on a day trip of 12 hours when you purchase one or more meals on the road and return home the same day ? Are any deductions allowed on these trips ?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry Crazynuff,

But you cannot deduct any per diem meal expense at all for a day trip,

The Per Diem is for use for overnight travel only, If you run local and the company sends you within a 500 to 600 mile round trip you cannot deduct the meals. unless it contains that overnight stay.

Frank

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Crazynuff,

forgot to mention that if you run local you cannot take the Per diem deduction at all unless the load takes you away overnight.

If you leave at 4 PM and do not return until 4AM it is also not considered due to it being within a 24 hour period.

You must be in the sleeper or motel for the time allowed inorder to receive the per diem allowance.

But if you expend any other type of truck expense, like supplies, windex, paper towels, etc, you might get away with it. But remember I did not tell you this.

Frank

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the response , Frank . I used to be able to deduct per diem about 20 days a month . Now I do a lot of deliveries 200 - 300 miles out and am back the same night . I'm only overnight a couple of nights a week now . I sure miss those deductions , especially working 10 or more hours a day and buying meals on the road .