Me and my son want to do teams

Freking56

Expert Expediter
My son and I want to do teams OTR he already has a class A and I'm working on getting my class B. We want to drive straight trucks. and we dont want to work for a o/o...we want to purchase our truck. I have some questions if you could answer them.
1.should we buy new or used/ and what are the advantages and disadvantes of buying either one?

2.Is there money out there to be made, our recruiter said we could make 75-150k a year ( conway-now)

3.Is conway-now a good company to work for?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
New or used is a good question and has possible advantages both ways. A new truck is going to have a warranty to protect you from unexpected expenses for a period of time. New trucks still require trips to the shop because there will be things needing adjustment and things will go out on them. You will lose productivity time either way. With the new truck warranty you just shouldn't have as much monetary outgo for some period of time.

Used trucks have already taken the worst depreciation hit. Should you desire to sell it 3 months later you might recover 90% of your investment rather than 75% with a new truck. The potential for expensive repairs is greater so you need a larger emergency fund just in case.

A team that stays available and runs well should make a 3 figure gross income. Whether it can support 2 family units is another question. If your son is single and supporting only himself it could work pretty well. The ideal situation is a married couple where everything goes into the same account.

Con-Way was on my short list when I started out. I am looking at them again now as a potential home for my new truck. I'd say they are definitely on the A list along with several others. Good luck to you.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.