MC insurance question

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
So there is an insurance that you get for your MC # which is separate from the insurance you get on your vehicle. Correct? If you know about this please explain the difference and the costs avarage for the MC insurance.

Thanks for the help!

What a glorious Day!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never heard of ins for MC#. A matter of fact MC numbers i think are not issued anymore just US DOT #.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Never heard of ins for MC#. A matter of fact MC numbers i think are not issued anymore just US DOT #.
MC # are definitely issued. Without them you want be able to get a single load from places like sylectus...

What a glorious Day!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
MC # are definitely issued. Without them you want be able to get a single load from places like sylectus...

What a glorious Day!
I thought they were discontinued a while back due to something to do with IFTA. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pay around $980/month for my cargo insurance....i have my own authority and have an unlimited radius.

What are you insuring exactly? What vehicle?

It depends on a bunch of factors. I think $1K a month is a big pill to swallow for a van.

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver

It depends on a bunch of factors. I think $1K a month is a big pill to swallow for a van.
Small straights are between 700 and 1500 depending on your driving history. That's cargo liability and car

What a glorious Day!

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Small straights are between 700 and 1500 depending on your driving history. That's cargo liability and car

What a glorious Day!

Again, what equipment you're insuring matters. Along with driving history, state you live in, etc ..

If it's a 2018 van with 100K mi = x
If it's a 2010 van with 500K mi = y

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
2017 ProMaster 3500 ext....i live in Michigan. That insurance number is my cargo/liability/no fault, all in one....i haven't had a ticket since 2007....im 42 years old. Unless you do a 500 mile radius, You're going to pay a lot for cargo and liability... My insurance Agent told me if I drop it to 500 miles that my insurance will probably be cut in half. Unfortunately, a 500 mile radius limits what i can do....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2017 ProMaster 3500 ext....i live in Michigan. That insurance number is my cargo/liability/no fault, all in one....i haven't had a ticket since 2007....im 42 years old. Unless you do a 500 mile radius, You're going to pay a lot for cargo and liability... My insurance Agent told me if I drop it to 500 miles that my insurance will probably be cut in half. Unfortunately, a 500 mile radius limits what i can do....
Hey, R.P.
Just out of curiosity, where in Mich are you? With all the hoo-ha caused by Mike Dugan this last week, your insurance costs could drop significantly.

Edit: I'm in
Livonia

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, R.P.
Just out of curiosity, where in Mich are you? With all the hoo-ha caused by Mike Dugan this last week, your insurance costs could drop significantly.

Livonia
Sup neighbor!!! I live in Bedford Township...3 miles north into Michigan from The Buckeye...it would be nice!!!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey, R.P.

Livonia
Sup neighbor!!! I live in Bedford Township...3 miles north into Michigan from The Buckeye...it would be nice!!!
Ah, gotcha....... nice area.....