MBE 9000 Reliability ?

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
We had a Sterling Actera with a MBE 900. Ran it for a little over eight years. It had over 961,000 miles on it when we traded it for a new truck.

You can count on going through an EGR valve and EGR cooler about every 18 months are so. We had to replace a head gasket once , and put two turbos on it.

Parts are somewhat higher than other engines since it is a hard engine to find aftermarket items for.

My understanding is that you can not rebuild that engine because you can't replace the cylinder sleeves. You can buy a remanufactured crate engine if they are still available. It has been awhile since I priced one, but I believe they cost around $25,000 to purchase and have installed.

By the time we traded it in our maintenance cost were pretty high on a cents per mile basis. When you combine those cost with the loss of revenue caused by unscheduled downtime, maintenance can really get into your pocket.

Other members may have had different experiences with this engine, but these were ours.

Bottom line I wouldn't buy another truck with this engine unless it had fairly low miles and the truck itself was being offered at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

SpeedExpo8

Active Expediter
Thanks A lot
Your the 3 owner of that MBE 900 I heard say the same thing. Definitely wouldn't buy one, but I was asking about the 9000 series which is the big block. From my understanding that engine can have a reman. Do you know anything about that one ?

redskunk

Expert Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Army
I believe that engine is called the MBE 4000. That is a different matter entirely. While not as good of a choice as say a Series 60 engine from Detriot Diesel, I would much prefer it to the MBE 900.

I have never owned one of the 4000's. My best friend had one in a Freightliner Columbia, and he seemed to like it. I was told by the mechanic at my local DD shop that the MBE 4000's also had problems with the EGR system, but in the two and a half years my friend owned his he never had any issues with it.

I would recommend doing a search on this sight covering the MBE 4000 engine in order to get answers to the questions you asked in your original post.

SpeedExpo8

Active Expediter
Your correct, I apologizes the 4000 was the engine I was referring too. But Appreciate your feedback. I'm definitely going to do some research on that 4000.
Thanks redskunk