Maybe Diesel MPG's Ain't That Great After All

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Considering diesel is running as much as a $1.00 MORE per gallon.....

That is why I chose not to go with another diesel, but what do I know.....

Maybe some real numbers will help folks make an educated decision.

Gasoline Use Grows

By Light & Medium Truck

There was a noticeable increase in the use of gasoline engines in most of the light and medium commercial truck segments during the first calendar quarter, according to data from R. L. Polk & Co.

The number of new vehicles registered in Classes 3-7 using gasoline instead of diesel increased in the period from January to March 2008 compared with the same period last year. The one exception was in the Class 4 weight group.

The greatest increases were in Classes 3 and 6. In Class 3, 30.4% of the new vehicles registered in the first quarter were gasoline powered compared with 22.6% for the same period in 2007. In Class 6, 24.9% of new vehicle users opted for gasoline engines instead of diesel, compared with 17.1% a year earlier.

Although Ford’s Class 3 new vehicle registrations were down 3.6% in the first quarter compared with the same period in 2007, 36.6% of those new vehicles were gasoline powered, 56% more than in the same period in 2007, according to Polk.

In Class 5, 11.8% of new vehicle registrations were gasoline compared with 9.8% in 2007, and in Class 7 2.4% of the new vehicles registered had gasoline engines compared with .5% in 2007.

The number of gasoline-powered vehicle registrations in Class 4 dropped to 41.6%, down from 47.8% in 2007 for the same period.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I've noticed over the last week or so that while gas prices continue to rise - diesel prices have actually fallen - local station near the border dropped from 5.05 last week to 4.99 and today dropped a whopping .10 to 4.89 but at the same sime gas went up around 4 cents across the board............does this indicate dropping demand for diesel amongst 4 wheelers I wonder? There's a boatload of pickups and SUV's on the market lately as well. Times are changing.