May Day What’s going on banter

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm in service at home, no load offers for quite a while. Am I working or retired? Is there a difference? Other than the fact that retired means no income and no expenses, while working means no income and ongoing expenses.
True, oh so true......

Reactions: fastman_1

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was a little occupied this weekend, flew up to Ohio to drive my van back to Florida. The flight from Ft Lauderdale to Phily was a little over half full, but from there to Cleveland, there was only 2 of us on that plane, talk about being weird.
7yBqOnf1lhapsqCtxMz9xNQMYAggtXjoAwv7giu9MM4Uz1_sqpw08ACQnGCF1SthXoN17hae4rlvQWv66ayenz-Apg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Box one came. No parts just a few tools.

Ever try to find a low mileage 2005 differential :(

Since I'm doing the whole rearend, might as well pick up a transmission to rebuild. I have 450k miles on mine, and I got it low on fluid and it was black (in 2016)

Definitely feels like I'm retired. Without the benefit of savings or income

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First impressions: obvious wear pattern on ring gear near the edge, but no broken teeth. I'll check the lash 360 degrees cause I don't wanna buy a ring and pinion if I can avoid it

Gear oil is dirty and discolored, slightly milky. I can only guess the movement allowed the pinion seal to wear and let water in.

Only 100k on synthetic oil, fingers crossed all it needs is bearings and seals

Edit: I'll put some pics on truck talk when I have time

Edit edit: yep water n dirt on pinion bearing
20200504_191739.jpg

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thursday's delivery rescheduled.

Today, since my press and bearing tools haven't arrived...Just slowly taking it apart.

Here's a photo of the "sealed environment" of my axle... :p

20200505_160319.jpg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wheel bearings.

Left one is crunchy. Right one, some of the rollers are laying down and the cage is broken.

Paid for priority shipping. Not here yet. I don't have to worry about sweating, snow in the forecast tomorrow...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, I can keep telling myself it's not really that cold. Bonus, I don't have to freeze the races for easier install

I really would have liked new bearings to arrive since I paid for next day delivery. 2 days ago. (Or the bearing driver kit. Chiseling races sucks. I left the rearend in the van, rusty u bolts)

Getting close to delivery time. Guess I have to put it together with the old bearings.

Update: snow has melted and the bearings have magically appeared on my doorstep :p

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where's grizzly? I'm making $5 a mile Canadian this week :p (empty miles included)

With my backup van. I had to stop at reinstalling the front pinion bearing, won't press on

Edit: I should add that it's 300 miles and a ton of waiting time

Last edited: