Max Weight

boots

Expert Expediter
I have a GM Savana Cargo Van, 8600 GVW. What is the maximum load weight I can put in this vehicle?
Thank you
Boots:* :*

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>I have a GM Savana Cargo Van, 8600 GVW. What is the maximum
>load weight I can put in this vehicle?
>Thank you
>Boots:* :*

Boots,

You 'should' be able to run 1500 to 2000 pounds in a 1 ton van. However, this depends on what all you have installed.. bed, fridge, etc... to be sure, have the van with your normal 'stuff' in it, full of fuel, and yourself. Go to the nearest truckstop that has a scale and get it weighed empty. The difference between that weight, and the 8600 is what you can haul.

That way, you won't have to guess.

Dreamer

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
There should be a sticker on the door jamb stating empty weight and max loaded weight(8600# in your case).Check your owners manual,too,and also do as Dreamer says,about going to a certified truck scale.Remember that your load has to be balanced properly ,too,so as not to overload your tires and the structural and safety components of the vehicle.It's pretty simple,but a small mistake can turn into a big headache,if you're not careful. Paul.

Chicken Leg

Expert Expediter
And also here's another point. Of course assumming that your van's suspension, tires, and other necessary related safty items are capable of dealing with the extra weight, you can claim a 10,000 gvw the next time you buy plates. As far as I know, most all dmv's will issue your registration based on stated gvw. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same as stamped on the vehicle itself. When they hand you the tissue, simply make sure that it is stated so in the gvw area. Of course your plate will cost you a little more, but now you can leagally carry more. This will gain you more cargo to carry and still be under 10,001 and out of DOT's hands. I have done this a couple of timesL (unless your hauling hazmat of course, then no matter what your gvw states, you are under DOT control) Best of Luck

jg

Expert Expediter
If your van is rated by the manufacturer at 8600, you might be able to
get it registered at 10000, but then you'd be overloading your van if you carried too much freight. I have no idea how much safety is built
into a van's carrying capacity compared to the stated/rated capacity, but if the total is 8600, I don't think I'd go over that no matter what I could get it registered at. Especially if it was still under
warranty, because an overload would void the warranty as to any problems caused by the overload.....and whatever else the dealer could blame on the excess freight. You might never have a problem, or just a blown tire, or maybe a broken axle, or.......???
Maybe someone else on this board can tell us if the gross weight is because of suspension limitations, transmission size, engine size, or other factors. If the suspension was safe, but just speed had to slow down to baby the engine, then I suppose no harm done.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Couple of points to ponder.

1. A new 2004 Chevy Express 2500HD (same as the Savana) with 8600# GVW has a cargo rating of 3200# per the sale brochure I got at the Chevy dealer.

2. I just bought a 2001 GMC Savana 3500 cutaway with a 10' box also rated at 8600# GVW by the body upfitter. My empty weight is 5850# giving me a legal payload of 2750# (you can see the truck here: http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/601.html )

3. I dunno about anywhere else but here in Maryland even if you register that truck to 10K# the DOT cops *will* hammer you for being overloaded if you exceed 8600# and get caught. :eek:

--
Mike N

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I may be mistaken,but a GM 3500 van should be at 9600# gross;a 2500 should be 8600# gross.I never understood why companies call vans "1/2 ton,3/4 ton and one ton"- a Ford E150 and
GM/Dodge 1500 carry a 1500# load capacity,or 3/4 ton;a Ford E250 and GM/Dodge 2500 carry a 2500# load capacity,or 1 1/4 tons;a Ford E350 and GM/Dodge 3500 carry a 3500# load capacity,or 1 3/4 tons.Ford also makes the E450,E550,andE650-which are4500#,5500#,and6500# respectively.GM may still offer the bigger units,but I am not sure.Remember-when you have dual rear wheels,that's when the highest load capabilities are made most possible,but the load still has to be balanced properly to be safe.Also,I recently saw a Sprinter(2500) loaded at a foundry in Milwaukee with a broken front suspension and flat rear tire after the driver "thought" he could carry his 6123# freight to New York state.Thank goodness he never made it out of the lot.I believe the shipper has video of the guy trying to leave...Paul

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
BTW-the guy with the Sprinter had only been in it about three months,and had bought it because his carrier told him he could make more money because he could accept the higher paying large truck loads.Yes,it was a 2004 Dodge.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
>I may be mistaken,but a GM 3500 van should be at 9600#
>gross;a 2500 should be 8600# gross.

Yes this is something of a mystery to me as well. When I first looked a the truck I thought it was a 2500 due to the low GVW. If you doubt the thing I'll happily snap a photo of the weights plate in the door jamb.

>I never understood why companies call vans "1/2 ton,3/4
>ton and one ton"- a Ford E150 and
>GM/Dodge 1500 carry a 1500# load capacity,or 3/4 ton;a Ford
>E250 and GM/Dodge 2500 carry a 2500# load capacity,or 1 1/4
>tons;a Ford E350 and GM/Dodge 3500 carry a 3500# load
>capacity,or 1 3/4 tons.

Back in the old days that was how trucks were classed i.e. by their cargo weight capacity. For example an Army duce-and-a-half was a 2 1/2 ton rated truck. So it also went for small trucks 1/2 ton etc. Things seem to have changed a bit since the old days! ;)

>Also,I recently saw a Sprinter(2500) loaded at a foundry in
>Milwaukee with a broken front suspension and flat rear tire
>after the driver "thought" he could carry his 6123# freight
>to New York state.Thank goodness he never made it out of the
>lot.I believe the shipper has video of the guy trying to
>leave.

Holy makerel! What a :+!That video might be good for a chuckle or two!

--
Mike N