Max box size on 295 wheelbase

pok

Rookie Expediter
Hey guys,

What's the maximum box size I can fit on a truck with a 295 wheelbase and a 72 sleeper?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is BBC measurement?
Bumper to Back of Cab + sleeper + box = not to exceed 40 ft (480 inches )

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wheelbase is not necessarily the issue. Most states have a 40 ft. max length for straight trucks.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
125" BBC + 72" sleeper =197" (16.4 ft)
Max straight truck length 480" ( 40 ft)
480 - ( 197 +3) = 280(23.3 ft box)
Don't forget to add a few of inches for the gap between the sleeper and box.

There is also a 113" BBC Cascadia model, which could allow for a 24 ft box, instead of 22-23 ft.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a 72 Cascadia sleeper, brochure says 125 BBC
Recheck your specs. I find it hard to believe that a 72" sleeper would allow a 125" BBC. That would mean 53" from the bumper to the back of the main cab. On a Cascadia the hood itself is probably 53" if not longer

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Recheck your specs. I find it hard to believe that a 72" sleeper would allow a 125" BBC. That would mean 53" from the bumper to the back of the main cab. On a Cascadia the hood itself is probably 53" if not longer

xmudman , 125" and 113" BBC are daycab measurements, then you have to add whichever sleep size you get, if one is included.

Reactions: xmudman

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, that's why I suggested the OP recheck the specs in the brochure. Realistically, he's probably looking at a 22' box, plus a little bit of room for a step and/or liftgate.

That part's simple arithmetic. What I'm curious about is what wheelbase you need for a 40' truck. That I have no knowledge of because I never have, and likely never will order a straight truck.

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, that's why I suggested the OP recheck the specs in the brochure. Realistically, he's probably looking at a 22' box, plus a little bit of room for a step and/or liftgate.

That part's simple arithmetic. What I'm curious about is what wheelbase you need for a 40' truck. That I have no knowledge of because I never have, and likely never will order a straight truck.

The OP stated it was 295" wheelbase. Personally, I have a 2015 Cascadia 113" ( not 125") w/ a 72" sleeper and 22 ft box. My wheelbase is 279".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The dealer should have a program to give very specific weight/balance specs based on specific engine/transmission/axles/etc. on the truck. A rough WAG would be rear wheels about 55% back on the box or about 45% of the box behind the axle centerline. That's a half asleep guess though and could be wrong but I don't think it's too far off. Again though, any dealer selling the truck should run the program that will give you dimensions, weights, balances, turning radius etc. etc.. Also, check what the price difference is between a 22' box and a 23'x" box. You can't add another pallet but you can use the extra 12-16 inches for load bars, blankets, straps and all the other stuff you'll need while still having the full 22' for freight.

Reactions: Greg

pok

Rookie Expediter
Thanks! I appreciate all the info. Dealer says front axle is at 14,700... Is that too heavy for expediting? Or could I make that work?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks! I appreciate all the info. Dealer says front axle is at 14,700... Is that too heavy for expediting? Or could I make that work?

That is the weight rating of the axle not the actual weight of the axle.