Mack Straight Truck Question(s)

MorganW

Expert Expediter
Does anybody have experience with the Mack Midliner series of trucks? Are they dependable, or do they have certain issues to watch out for? Is the Renault powerplant a dependable one?

I realize it's not a popular truck around here, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance for your time.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I think the Mack Vision would make an excellent straight truck! I lived in Albuqurque NM. years ago and the only truck to own was a Mack! Very dependable and service was not a problem ever, more than I can say for the other big truck makers. Down side is a little narrow cab, period! Good luck and let us know how your extreme rig comes along.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Vision is not nearly the same as Midliner.
Vision is class 8; it's the imitation Volvo which Mack introduced in response to the Volvo VN series (770, 660, ...).
Midliner is class 7, built in France (still, I think) with a Renault medium-duty engine.
I drove several Midliners some years ago (while I did moonlighting by delivering trucks for dealers).
As I recall, the ride, handling, and performance were not bad -- compared with other class-7 trucks of that era.
If I were considering buying one, I would think long and hard about the availability of both parts and qualified mechanics.
I've never seen more than a few Mack Midliner expediter trucks.
There may be at least one good reason for that.
Good luck!
Doc.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
The Mack CS would be the Mack Midliner, correct? Or is the midliner a COE?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
The midliner came in both a CS and MS version. I own one of both now (not sure how that happened.. watch what you bid on I guess) the CS is a conventional the MS is a cab over. Both are built by Renault in france. I can not say I have had much trouble with either, parts can be a bit hard to find, but most mack dealers have them. They however seem to charge accordingly. Filters and what not can be bought most anywhere. The air brake system is standard to most trucks. I like mine, I wish it's GVW was a bit higher, but since it has air brakes it has everything I need to add a tag axle to it.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
Found a Mack CS

Well I'm just going to post my new questions, by adding to this thread.

I have found a Mack CS, while I'm not the biggest fan of the body style, I believe there is certainly something to work with.
It is located not more than 150mi from me, so it has some real potential...
Here's the details:
Mack CS200
22' box w/o liftgate
57,000 miles (believed to be true, as it's highly unlikely to have turned 999,999+ miles. Unless of course the speedo has been changed)
It was used as a local truck by global van lines.
Renault 180hp (Uggg, gonna be a dog)
Manual 5 Speed - new clutch
25,000 GVW (right where I want it)
Air over Hydraulic brakes - 4 wheel discs - new pads on rear.

Here is the kicker, and why it's available to me under $5,000 (my working capital btw)

---Salvage Title---

And I'd have to correct it with the DMV, whats that take to do?
According to owner, it got salvage papers by accident.
The owners wife (Korean) went to the DMV to non-op it. And you guys likely know how the DMV can be confusing, well I'm sure it is that much more more someone understanding very little English. Anyways, thats how* (Supposidly) it ended up with salvage papers for an otherwise good truck... The truck sounds like it has good potential, I can theoretically clear up a salvage title (Brake and Light Check, DMV/CHP VIN Verification?) It's low miles, and suppodily these renault, albeit foriegn, are good running engines? The mechanic said he used to work on the Penski units all the time, and said the biggest thing about them were their factory fuel lines, would quit often break. In addition, he remembers the parts being easily accessable (through Mack) and were often more inline with other -domestic- makes parts costs, then say Isuzu or Hino. Well anyways, just wanting to see what feedback ya'll could offer up. Remember this as well, I will be an O/O with no carrier. I will only be running Intr-a-state (Within California). from my location the -longest- runs would likely be 500mi one way. This truck is UNDER $5,000, and I only need it for about 2 years (until I can move up to better truck). Alright let me have it guys. :p

http://images.traderonline.com/img/4/dealer/3952098/77669031_1.jpg

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Found a Mack CS

If you can get the title cleared up, the truck should be fine for your needs. The only thing I knew that was a problem with those Midliners was the clutch, (it is small) but as you said it is new that shouldn't be an issue. The Renault engine believe it or not is very durable, they use a Midliner COE at my local driving school for CDL B training that has over a million unrebuilt miles on it and takes a trashing from students. If it goes for two years, you'll likely get your $5000 worth out of it.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Joe my man think about it. A 18 year old truck with 57,000 miles on it,no way That means the van line only did 3166 a year,or 60 miles a week. I don't think so. Remember in this cruel harsh world we live in "you get what you pay for"..x(

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I missed that part. With only 57k miles, it might still have its original 1987 tires.:) Local work as intended fine, but I wouldn't try anything fancy (such as nationwide expediting) with it.
In the $5-7 range though, you should be able to find a less than 10 year old under CDL International 4700 or 4900 or FL70 with clear title to start your business out with, which are better trucks with more plentiful parts and service available than the Mack Midliner.
-Weave-

ATCO

Expert Expediter

>Joe my man think about it. A 18 year old truck with 57,000
>miles on it,no way That means the van line only did 3166 a
>year,or 60 miles a week. I don't think so. Remember in this
>cruel harsh world we live in "you get what you pay for"..x(

Your figures are inflated a bit. The truck hasn't been with the moving company for a while (I'd venture 10 years), anyways, the guy that had it after global just parked it on his property... I'm not set on if I believe those miles or not. point IS that IS what the Speed-o shows...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

ATCO

Expert Expediter

>I missed that part. With only 57k miles, it might still
>have its original 1987 tires.:) Local work as intended
>fine, but I wouldn't try anything fancy (such as nationwide
>expediting) with it.
>In the $5-7 range though, you should be able to find a less
>than 10 year old under CDL International 4700 or 4900 or
>FL70 with clear title to start your business out with, which
>are better trucks with more plentiful parts and service
>available than the Mack Midliner.
>-Weave-
>

I can get a truck for $5.00 to $7.00, sweet... :p
I've been looking at Internationals, and the ones I've found in the price range you mentioned ($5,000 to $7,000) have - according to fellow forum members - unreasonable miles... Most if not all found so far have 500,000 to 700,000 miles on them. It is hard for me to even get the $5,000, and would be that much harder to get a little bit more, unless you guys are offering... no, really, any help??? :D

I am fully aware of the risks I'd be taking in a used truck, but with the current situation, I haven't much of a choice. I am 22 with good credit and good payment history, but... I only have 4 years of credit history. No one is willing to take a risk on me with a loan (even at $10,000) or they do at over-inflated percent (24%!) rates....
What would you do in my shoes? Sorry haven't any rich relatives...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I am sorry my first post on this vehicle was wrong, if I look back on it. At least I think it was. But you have to go with what you feel is right Joe.. for you.

The best thing is Joe from Bakersfield, CA you have a market (LA to SF), something that will be your biggest asset. What I worry about in your case more than anything else is success. Just looking at the picture of Mr. Midliner sitting there so sadly in the land of prosperity, what do you-- yourself-- make of it? Have you test drove it? Does it run? Does it leak? Does it move? Will it pass a (harsh) CA DOT? Will it be up to snuff for your plans? These are the basic questions of your mechanical knowledge for your area. (No kidding, tough boy Jesse James would live for about 5.5 seconds in Silver Creek, NY. Sorry Hollywood!) Please excuse my typos on the dollars, I sincerely hope I can save you some and help you to be successful.

It is much more fun to be running and making money than to be sitting around waiting for a truck to be fixed. You are also 22, and a go getter. Check out the nationwide www.truckpaper.com, or other sources in your region for a better catch. That first truck will be a tool. Sight unseen, do you know the cost to rebuild a Renault diesel, if needed, will exceed the purchase price of the truck? Your than $5K (K, that's thousand dollars, sorry for the typo) catch will become a $10K (K) catch, add on brakes, tires, etc... Can you repair the truck yourself? IS IT WHY why it is sitting there? Have a mechanic check it out Joe. Then we add on the cost of getting the title cleared. Generally salvage titles are issued when trucks or cars are wrecked or stolen. If the owner can't answer questions, walk away... quickly. Matter of fact, run.

I hate to sound like a stubborn father Joe, but you are sounding a bit like Wally Cleaver! I'm an easy sell, but you will be the daddy who owns it.

-Weave-

ATCO

Expert Expediter

>I hate to sound like a stubborn father Joe, but you are
>sounding a bit like Wally Cleaver! I'm an easy sell, but
>you will be the daddy who owns it.
>
>-Weave-

No worries there Weave. I respect your input, along with others, thats why I posted, to get input. If you guys could help find me a truck in CA for under $5,000 (I know what the K means, sorry if I got particular in my past post...) great. I might be 22, not nieve(sp)... No I haven't checked the truck out in person, then again I'm not sold on the truck yet (just found it a couple a days ago, and doing what detective work I can over the phone). Before I make ANY purchase, I'm gonna give that truck a once over, then a twice over, you get it. so why was your first post, so wrong?

Basically my options thus far are:

1995 Int'l 4900, 660,000mi, gvw is 33,000 (have to get it down)
22' box w/sleeper. It is 2,000mi away.
1992 Isuzu MTR, 350,000mi, gvw is only 11,000, 14' box
1989 Ford F700, (Need details), 24' box
1989 Iveco, 380,000mi, gvw is 25,000, 24'
1989 Int'l S, (Need details)
1988 Ford L7000, (Need details), 22' box
1987 Mack CS200 (listed here previously)

bought and paid for 1995 Ford F350, with a 12' stakebed. 280,000mi, 7.3l turbo diesel, 11,000 gvw (8,400 unladen). It's not my truck, but is available to be. Not really the type of vehicle I want to be in, as I want a vehicle with a good GVW and enclosed box.

Then there are the other various udder POS's and Gassers

It's just a challenge finding them under $5,000
as well as challenge to get a loan for more than $5,000

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

Hey, Weave, others, thanks for being patient with me...

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It is not a problem at all to drive a non CDL truck (under 26k GVW) across the country. Seriously Joe, I can't count the THOUSANDS of trucks I have found in your price range with clean titles for your needs outside of CA. I know CA has some funky laws, but getting a temp tag to bring a truck into the state shouldn't be one. Another thing I forgot to mention was CA emissions testing, which most of those old 80's era diesel trucks in your list probably wouldn't pass to be able to get the truck registered. Check into it Joe.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Joe, I like your determination and enthusiam and I think you will make it OK. Have you considered a short term truck lease through Penske or Ryder. Say about 12 months,live as frugal as possible and build up some cash. You can probably have insurance and maintenance added in to the lease payment. The only drawback might be your age,some insurance carriers want the drivers to be over 25. Good Luck and keep us posted,we are all pulling for you.
RichM
Owner/Operator
Professional
18 years.

ATCO

Expert Expediter

>The only drawback might be your age,some insurance
>carriers want the drivers to be over 25.

That is one reason I've been planning for actual startup of April, of which I turn 23. I was told most won't carry until I turn at least 23. Go figure, from 18 on, I can drive within the state, from 21 on I can drive interstate, but I can't get good insurance until I turn at least 23.

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
the Mack midlinder finds it's self the butt of alot of jokes. (Do you know why the dog on the hood is smiling? Because he is sitting on the crap, and your sitting in it) And most concerns about the truck are valid. The cost of rebuilding the diesel in the truck WILL cost more than the truck. With that in mind, when you start getting paid, start setting money aside to buy a different truck when the engine fails. I don't know about CA but here in MN there is a truck salvage yard with used engines. (ya get what you pay for) I bought my 94 CS2000 with about 400K on it, new 22 foot box and 3 foot sleeper in 98 for 3700 on ebay. It is a 26,000 pound truck and actually to light for me (I have a CDL). If you are dead seat aginst getting a CDL do NOT buy a truck over 26000 pounds most places will not re-rate them unless you make changes to the truck to reflect the lower gross (replace axles and springs). You need to look at the purchase of the Mack the way I did. I had 4000 to spend, I had a company willing to put the truck to work at a 1.15 per mile. I figured I had to get about 8000 miles out of the truck to break even if nothing goes wrong, and another 10-20,000 to buy the truck I really want (again with out break downs...) can it do it? probably not. However I have checked the truck out and believe it to have at least 100,000 miles left in it before I have big troubles. Another think to keep in mind, even if the engine/trans/axles go to complete junk you still have a good set of wheels and tires, a box (something that will set you back close to 5000 if you bought new) to work with on your next truck. I figure I bought a box and sleeper and got a free truck when I bought mine.

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>Another think to keep in mind, even if the
>engine/trans/axles go to complete junk you still have a good
>set of wheels and tires, a box (something that will set you
>back close to 5000 if you bought new) to work with on your
>next truck.

Exactly :)
I figure a good box is worth at least $3,000 used...
I'm still pluging away at it guys. Looking at other options too (Like a Penske/Enterprise lease), and who knows maybe I can get in a bare bones new truck... Still trying to figure out what cards I have available before I start playing them...

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
be sure to read all the fine print on the lease before you sign. It sounds like you are going to put a lot of miles on and they can really stick it to you. Also, if you buy new, some things to consider. If you bought a new car, would you want one with power windows/locks/air con/am,fm,cd/tilt/cruise/delay wipers? Or no options? Why would you do that in a truck? At least get the comfort options (a/c tilt cruise) and a good air ride seat or you will quickly learn to hate that truck and the payments that go with it.

My advice is to fine tooth comb that Mack, if it really has 57,000 on it it should have a *lot* of life left in it. Be sure to check the condition of the tires (age cracks) air lines and brake parts to be sure the time form sitting has not set in. If I remember right you said it was air over hydro, it should have a air dryer. It will need a new cartridge. Thankfully it should be a bendix dryer and cheap to get (100-150 installed). Make sure the engine does not leak, seals go dry and will leak. I think CA dot is *very* picky about leaky trucks (this is the same state that wants to ban diesels..) It is probably best to have a mack dealer or local truck service center look it over. If it passes your inspection dicker with the seller, they want 5000, that does not mean they won't accept 4000 or maybe even less.
Say, I noticed in the photo the dog on the hood looks to be missing. I guess he just could not "stay" in one place that long.