M2 CB Grounding

roadman

Seasoned Expediter
i have a 05 frieghtliner m2106 and i cant get my swr down, got new coax and firestick, im thinking its a grounding issus, do i need a NGP setup to get my cobra 29 LTD ST to work right? magnets dont stick to the truck dew to it having a alloy or some say its a fiberglass shell. tried lots of different options but nothing seems to work. also have alternator noise transmitting. anybody got any ideas? thanx.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
the m2 body is aluminum, where are you grounding the cb? you might need to use fuse block
i am in no way an expert in auto/truck wiring so don't take my word for it

roadman

Seasoned Expediter
im using the original mirror mounts on the truck, they have ground wires running to them. anyway the cb is grounded on a bare bolt attached to the firewall.

apollopaul

Seasoned Expediter
My truck has fiberglass doors so the mirror brackets are not grounded. I had same problem, I went to no ground plane ant. from firestik. It works great

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My antenna is grounded through the mirror mount. One of the bolts was replaced with a stud to mount the antenna on. It's still not a perfect match, but it's in the acceptable range. The skin on the door is fiberglass, but the frame isn't.

roadman

Seasoned Expediter
yeah, thats how ive got it setup now. hmmm, is there something im missing? any ideas on the alternator noise being trasmitted?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I dunno, check with radio shack they should have some type of noise eliminator for automotive radios, that might work

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
My truck has the extra ground running to the mirror mounts also. But on the driver side, it had a corroded connector on the end and was not giving me a good ground. A new connector and cleaning, fixed that.

My CB picks up everything electrical in the truck. Alternator, wipers, fan motor, 4 way flashers, everything. Not real bad, but it is there. Drives me crazy and I have not really tried to fix it.