M.P.G. Average on SCR straits.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody know what to expect for mileage on a newer SCR engine?
Primarily International 4300 / 4400 S/T.
Im have a customer I might need to service with a dedicated truck and it might be rental to the rescue. Newer trucks have the SCR and I want to prioce the bid right. Ive heard 5 m.p.g. all the way to 10 m.p.g.
And of course the sales guy will tell you at least 50 M.P.G.

Thanks.
Bob Wolf.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Unless it's brand new and has the cummins diesel it isn't an scr engine from international. Not sure there will be much data out there on mpg because they just came out with the cummins a few months ago.

Not sure on fuel milage. When I drove those types of trucks they were the durastars (4400) with the international engine and we drove them like they were race cars and got around 8mpg.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
The Terrastar will usually achieve 10 mpg on the highway. I delivered parts with one for the local International dealer. That's driven fairly conservatively .

jimmy

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
We rented (budget) a brand new ford f650 24' straight truck which has the cummins scr, probably the same as comes in the new 4300s. Was outstandingly gutless (not sure on the spec, probably the lowest) and only did 6 or 7 mpg which was a disappointment. Load was Boston to LA, 6000lbs or so. Truck only had 300 miles on it when we picked it up so engine breakin might have been a factor. Was run at approx the speed limit the whole way, and was in mid dec. Probably would have done better if broken in, during the summer, spec'd for more HP, and didn't have a heavy FRP box on it, also no idea on the rear end ratio. The dt466 trucks budget used to spec had a decent highway gearing and got 8-12. The cummins behaved more like a vt365 from my recollection (I just drove it a little locally, didn't make the Cali run in it).

The Terrastar will usually achieve 10 mpg on the highway. I delivered parts with one for the local International dealer. That's driven fairly conservatively .

jimmy