m-b 900 egr - burning coolant

Seasoned Expediter
i'm using a lot of coolant lately it seems to be ok under load but when i down shift white smoke is evident. is it the valve, cooler or both? is there an easy fix?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i'm using a lot of coolant lately it seems to be ok under load but when i down shift white smoke is evident. is it the valve, cooler or both? is there an easy fix?

I went through this for months before I had a system pressure test. It was a leaking head gasket. fortunately coolant was not finding its way into the oil. Be sure to check the dipstick for any "milky" appearance.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was going thru 1gal coolant evry 60 miles.1 st checked coolant in oil,oil sample said none.Coolant test said either head gasket or head,or egr,took off egr cooler,was cracked in 3 places,so they determined that was the problem.BAd news,because my motor has had a dozen up grades to the egr,had to go to new style egr,parts alone are 2400 bucks
THe egr,cooler,and head gasket can both show the same symptoms.Extra back pressure into the cooling system,which will cause coolant lossage.Hope all works out
I'm hoping to be back on road MOnday,home for 3 weeks sucks

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
mine is taking an up grade,2400 just for parts,they were suppose to be in yesturday,as of 1600,weren't in yet.Guess I'm going have another weekend off.No matter,still haven't found a co driver.For so many people out of work,never thought it would be this hard,guess im going to have to get married just to get a driver, lol

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
MBE 900 Egr cooler $1600 installed Egr Valve $800 installed at the same time totaled $2400 at WW Williams Atlanta. The issue seems to be that when the engine isn shut off when hot the coolant boils and rust results and making the EGR cooler leak.
Very common on MBE 900 EGR engines.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Make sure they check your rod an main bearings.... an egr cooler thats been leaking awhile can put coolant in the journals between the 3rd and 4th cylinders. Have the oil checked for evidence of coolant. Make sure you buy the parts with the 1 year warranty cause you will have the same problem again before the year is out.