Love to meet you

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I have posted twice about CB usage on the highway. I want to say again that I understand why most have them turned off. I have some recent experiences that almost made me run a young man down and whip is A@@. Well that is exactly why you have them off. Ok I know that. I do want to tell you of three reasons I use mine. Thursday and Friday I was on a run to Oneonta(I think) Alabama. After sleeping in the parking area in lower Tenn. on I65 I ran on into Al. early Friday morning. Fog like pea soup as I hit the back roads of 278 and 231 headed in. If not for my CB and some good ole boys answering my screams for help I have no idea how I would have got in there. They talked me in on the CB and I was right on time.

I also got to miss a low boy with an oversized tank that would not clear a overpass on 65. All ude to my CB. You can tighten up your squelch and you really do not have to hear all the garbage but I am sure you all know that.

The reason I wish more of you would have them on, at least when you see another Expediter is so I can meet you. I do not spend time in the truck stops so I only meet the folks that chat for a moment or two on the CB and if running together we can then plan a rest stop to say hello for a few moments. It has been great with those I have met but there are many that do not hear me on the CB. Most are always nice enough to wave as I go by them. If they are not answering me on the CB and they always seem to use that same one finger wave..... hey wait a minute! Is that some kind of message I am not understanding? Hmmmm. I just made the connection. :)

Hope to hear from you out there.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
That one finger wave is common to the southern folks,i think it is a very friendly greeting.A lot better one than the one finger salute we are accustomed to getting from the 4 wheelers.
Whitewolf53:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I rarely use the CB anymore,only turn it on for bad weather conditions or traffic problems. Too much BS and ranting and raving these days.Sometimes when I see another Expediter I will turn it on and try to reach him/her,but thats about it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I probably only turn mine on for 5 minutes a week and sometimes not that. I will turn it on if there is a traffic problem although by then it's too late. I turn it on when the shipper/consignee has a sign saying call on channel x. I turn it on if I pass or get passed by another expediter. I usually don't turn it on if they are going the opposite direction because there is only about a 30-45 second window where we are close enough to really talk and then only if billy big rigger isn't blasting his pos big radio over everyone else.

I'm just starting to study for an amateur radio license. Depending on frequency you can talk all over the world. Amateur bands are very closely regulated so billy needs a big radio to offset his tiny you know what doesn't go on the ham bands or else gets kicked off and fined big time. I'll still keep the cb and talk to expediters going the same direction because we can have a good conversation before getting out of range. It's just too bad cb has to be spoiled for most of us by just a few.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I got my amatuer license a few years ago to be able to legally carry a scanner that will pickup police bands (in Minnesota it is legal and legal nation wide, no officer has ever questioned it) I find that to be the MOST reliable source of info. I really want to get a higher powered radio so I can talk world wide with people with a IQ higher than the number of wheels on the truck. This morning I ran with the CB on 19 for an hour. Some driver going the same direction I was screammed "LA LA LA LA LA" at least 30 times, of course this produced countless "shut up stupid" type replies. Last night I had it on due to heavy traffic, a driver said to avoid a interchange because it was really congested. A driver that was not able to hear the notice well asked if someone could repeat it. Before I had a chance another driver said the EXACT oppisite and tried to send that driver right in to a traffic jam. I corrected the record and got my ##### chewed for ruining a good joke. When I asked if he would like to be lied to like that I got the tipical "shut up stupid"..

Hence I rarely turn it on.

get_ready2

Expert Expediter
I just read your post about the trucker and his intentual abuse of his CB..... passing incorrect info to others, leading them in wrong directions, but yet, perhaps he had ask for info ahead and someone relayed a "truthful" response, warning of traffic, etc. ahead, enabling him to bypass and keep on moving, which that is one one of the main goals for all of us...keep moving). That's how we all make our money.

That really gripes my @#?? x(l . We will never how, when, or where, but that trucker, and others of the like, "WILL" get paid back in some way for things like that. Do wrong and it comes back, sooner or later! I don't wish anybody bad luck..... BUT, MY FIRST THOUGHT....I'd like to pass him sitting along the side of road, temp. around 100 Degree's, in the middle of no where, broke down, recaps slung everywhere, and to make it even better,...he would have the flu or at least the symptons, along with the running memmies and NO way to call for assistance, because his CB would be OUT OF ORDER!! We have to look out for one another on the road, nobody else will!! Safe traveling to you and all others that have a little courtesy left in them!!!! :)

finney

Expert Expediter
Been listening to a CB since '74 (first driving job in a Ford either 150 or 350 with a 10 or 12 foot box; don't remember now) and I still do. I don't run it as much as I used to, but I still have 'er cranked up most the time. Reason? I really don't listen to it except to filter out what I want, then my ears perk up on their own. The rest of the time it's sort of like white noise, which if you've never tried sleeping to static is something you need to look into.
For me, listening to the CB is like being on LSD without the visual part: How else would I know that the reason we don't invade Cuber (which I assume is the island nation about 90 miles South of Florida) is becuase Cuber has ten times the military strength of the United States? What was good about that one was that the guy he was talking to agreed with 'im.
And here all this time I thought I needed 'shrooms, mesc, and acid.

I really get a kick out of the CB; better'n pay stuff comedy channel like on XM or S.

I got my pretty red...

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Finney, That sums it up as well as anyone could have. I hear you loud and clear and I agree. I always am hoping that expediter beside me, behind me, in front of me etc. is someone from EO and if we stop at some point we can introduce ourselves. I rarely get answer back from any of them I shout at.

The folks that do call back will usally stop and say high at a rest stop or for fuel and it is just good to put a handle with a face.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am amazed how inviseable my white truck is out there. I always am able to spot another Expeditor D, C, unit. I always if its not on turn it on to just get a howdy. Almost always never able to get a response. Sorry Raceman I was guilty of this on I-75 about two months ago my glasses were dirty thats my story and aint chang'n it.

Come on people turn them on and say hello out there. I hate the back ground noise and sometimes the conversations probably run 40% of the time with it on.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Tell you what I do is Squelch it back to where I do not hear all the crap but do catch enough to know when to listen. Helps with traffic and Smokies. I always yell at any Expediter I see. I would say 1 out of 10 answer back. 1 out 30 may be able to talk or even get a cup of coffee or meal.

I agree it is bad to have on all the time. I get sick of the vast majority of big truck drivers. Most of them treat us like less than drivers. If they only knew I too have a Class A CDL and have driven TT and simply find this to be better money

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One reason you cant raise us on Th CB is that we are listening to a satelite radio service.

Now that the baseball season has started there are all those games on XM. Imagine hearing the entire game instead of loosing the signal nafter a few innings.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
you are right redytrk, this is going to be great.i haven't been able to keep up with my team for the last 3 years,so actually being able to hear a game start to finish is gonna be awesome.

CLEVELAND INDIANS:they've made us wait since '48.this could be the year, GO TRIBE!!! DD. :7 :7