Lost Another Good One

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Passing through Iowa I stopped at what used to be a nice Truckstop.
Altoona.
What a freakin dump !
Thought I’d have dinner at Grandma Max’s.
Now Max’s dinner. The hotdog eating clientele lends so little support that they’ve eliminated the buffet except for Sunday. Was basically empty.
The shop is down to two shifts.
The second floor has bolted shut doors in places and I didn’t even look to see if the basement is open.
Pumps filthy.

Pilot kills another Truckstop.
The next generation of drivers will never experience the decent full service truckstops that we’d look forward to going to back “ in the day.”
Sad.
If I want a hotdog I’ll find a hotdog stand.

Reactions: purgoose10

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
In my opinion Pilot doesn't really know what a truckstop is. If you stop and think for a minute, there business model is just like from the beginning, a quickstop convenience store with a fast food restaurant. That's what they are.

The only one is close is the TA/Petro. They have a full service restuarant and is ment for you to enjoy. Now with that being said, there starting to put in there new acquisition into there truckstops " Quaker Steak & Lube" It will be interesting to see how this will turn out.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's too bad. Although, I never cared for the front parking layout, was a neat place to explore.
I was there last year, dinner was pretty dead with sections roped off. Never ate there before.