looking to move companies need CDL though but can haul 26k gross

Jrusty

New Recruit
Driver
hi everyone
i live in canada and its difficult to get a CDL which we call AZ/DZ license as its $7500 in school. i work for a company that uses a 16 ft box truck no air brakes so i dont technically need one but have been doing logs both paper and using keep trucking and know the rules of driving a commercial vehicle.
i would like to move companies one that has a 26 ft truck possibly without air brakes as well that i can just run with. I'm very motivated so if a owner would help me getting my CDL i would gladly sign on with him or her for a year.
i am also looking at moving to states to be with my wife who is american so a job letter would help tremendously or a work visa.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way they need drivers, you'd think that they would take you on at a company...but can they? (Immigration)

I have no idea if they need drivers ENOUGH that they would help with the work visa, but it doesn't cost much to call the major US carriers and try. You might have to step up to a tractor to get school paid for...

Jrusty

New Recruit
Driver
i called carriers like swift and cr england and shneider all say i need us license and papers stating i can work in us like work visa or green card. so here i am cant save a penny because of cost of living or id have my license. i know i can drive a 26ft with no airbrakes as we had issues with our truck and thats what they gave me as a loaner.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In that case, they can't.

Unfortunately you have to finish the citizenship end first, from here.

There's no shortage of companies that will take you on as a driver here, if you have a clean driving record, but sponsoring an AZ will lock you here for a couple years to "pay it back" so to speak. (I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for canadian az license program, shnieder?)

Start with a resume and search on indeed.com for your area. You at least have experience in over 4500kg

This site also has a few companies that hire drivers, give the classifieds a look.

If she's your wife, how come you haven't done the citizenship?

Reactions: Grizzly

Jrusty

New Recruit
Driver
we tried for her to come here and there has been issues with the marriage aspect so to speak. when i called shneider they told me i would pay for it upfront then they would pay me or the bank over the next 2-3 years. the truck i drive weighs about 10,000 lbs empty and have put about that in the bed of it. ive taken a look at a couple of the companies on here as well.
obviously i dont have my own truck but one day would like to own my own rig.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Up front, didn't know they went to that.

Looks like you're stuck with finding a better job and banking some cash, unless you can find some sort of grant to get your az

Much cheaper and easier to get your DZ and keep driving those trucks for now. Used to be a $400 written test only (Ontario) what is it now? DZ would expand your horizons a bit

Jrusty

New Recruit
Driver
im looking at getting my dz but after the written i would need to do the driving portion and then medical. from what research i have done ontario is only province you would need to go to a school for the license which is why schools charge so much...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah the last time I looked, no school needed.

Personally I've avoided getting any commercial license so my cvor always comes out clean :D Insurance wants it again, renewal time...

Good luck with the job searching!