Looking to get started

SmokyMtnMan

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello all...
I have recently had a yearning to buy a cargo van and give the expediting business a try.
I have never ran OTR. I currently work for a large snack company and drive a dedicated daily route, but i want to do my own thing, step out on my own.
After reading some of the threads, I now think that maybe I should try the business out driving a van for someone else before jumping in head first and becoming a dedicated owner operator.
Where/ what companies are good places to start, to get my feet wet to see if owner operators is something I want to try?
Thank you

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello all...
I have recently had a yearning to buy a cargo van and give the expediting business a try.
I have never ran OTR. I currently work for a large snack company and drive a dedicated daily route, but i want to do my own thing, step out on my own.
After reading some of the threads, I now think that maybe I should try the business out driving a van for someone else before jumping in head first and becoming a dedicated owner operator.
Where/ what companies are good places to start, to get my feet wet to see if owner operators is something I want to try?
Thank you
While I don't have any personal knowledge, I have heard Bolt is a good company for newbies.

Good luck to ya.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
About a 99 percent drop out rate in expediting , but if youve got about 20k saved up and your delivery vehicle paid for, try it...you never know..

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Bolt,xpo,and load one
Know the cost per mile of the van so you can make a business decision on a load fast. You need to know if that load is worth turning the key.

Reactions: freeworld1