Looking to get started

Skidrow

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone.Well I've been checking out this site and I've decided to jump in because you guys have already taught me things I need to know.I'm currently driving for a freight co.(teamsters) I've only got 5 years invested w/them and I'm ready to bail out.(Better to get out now than wait till it's too late,ya know?)I've been researching the expediting o/o feild and it looks like I might be interested.I've got 12 years of furnitrure moving exp.,3 yrs dock working,7 yrs tractor trailer driving,hazmat, and am sick of working for the man.My wife and i have one daughter left at home and looking forward to being empty nesters soon.I live 1 hr south of Chicago,so I hope that might help being in the right lane.Thinking about buying a new st.truck w/ all the whistles & bells.My questions are-What co. would be best to drive for w/proximity to my home,How much can I really expect to bring home after all the smoke clears?I hear Panther is pretty good.Do you really have that much down time?Any help would be appreciated.Thanx Skidrow

paperback1

Expert Expediter
HI SKIDROW, I HAVE 3 TRUCKS WITH TST OUT OF WINDSOR, ON, CANADA, AND ALL 3 OF MY DRIVERS ARE FROM THE CHICAGO AREA, THATS WHERE I'M FROM ( SCHAUMBURG) AND MY DRIVERS NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING HOME. I HEARD TRI STATE IS GOOD FOR CHICAGO AS WELL. I USED TO SEE PANTHERII TRUCKS IN SCHAUMBURG AND HANOVER PARK AREA ALL THE TIME, SO THEY MIGHT BE A GOOD CHOICE AS WELL, BUT I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT GOOD LUCK AT TST, SO HOPE THIS HELPS, GOOD LUCK:+

homeless andy

Expert Expediter
You're right skidrow, this is a great place for learning the business of expediting. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but consider driving for an owner for a year or so. That way, every question you have will be answered, and you won't have a large investment in a truck if you discover you don't like the downside of the business. There is a downside. Sometimes you sit. It's a game of luck, being in the right place at the right time.
As for which company, most of the larger companies are active in the northeast and midwest. Talk to the recruiters, but then talk to some drivers. Keep coming here and asking questions. I'm new at this, but there are some very knowledgable people that utilize this site.