Canada Looking to get into the business

mrmeaner

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone here have an idea on how to go about getting into this business in Ontario without buying or leasing a truck?

I've thought about getting into expediting for a very long time now, but before I spend money on a truck I would like to make sure it's a good fit.

I've done searches on here for Ontario & Canadian companies but all posts seem to be a few years old. And the companies I have found and have web pages mention nothing about company drivers all O/O.

I hold a class A but willing to drive anything just to get a feel for it

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone here have an idea on how to go about getting into this business in Ontario without buying or leasing a truck?

I've thought about getting into expediting for a very long time now, but before I spend money on a truck I would like to make sure it's a good fit.

I've done searches on here for Ontario & Canadian companies but all posts seem to be a few years old. And the companies I have found and have web pages mention nothing about company drivers all O/O.

I hold a class A but willing to drive anything just to get a feel for it

For all I remember..I can not think of one in Ontario that has company trucks doing expedite...

For those Americans, a Class A is tractor without air endorsement...AZ would be with air...

moose

Veteran Expediter
look here ,they can surly help :

TST Expedited Services

i hate to do it, because they do not advertised on EO ,
please let the recruiter know that you got his # from this website ,so they might do more to support the industry...

good luck.

mrmeaner

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the feedback.

I sent an e-mail off to TST just to see what they have to say.

Is it possible to work for an American owner and if so what are the chances they would want you to pick and drop in the States?

When I worked in a warehouse a few years ago I know we dealt with a lot of American expediters Panther, CTX and Lazer are the ones that I remember

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the feedback.

I sent an e-mail off to TST just to see what they have to say.

Is it possible to work for an American owner and if so what are the chances they would want you to pick and drop in the States?

When I worked in a warehouse a few years ago I know we dealt with a lot of American expediters Panther, CTX and Lazer are the ones that I remember

Load-1, Fedex, CTX, and TST has both Can and US authority..Panther does not....I heard they were maybe planning it but never followed thru...

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Check the Driver Wanted classifieds here, I've seen some O/O's wanting drivers from Michigan. They might hire you on, then eventually you can buy your own.

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
Good Luck,

Just remember we are NOT in the US and business is a bit different up here!!!
TST is about the biggest Cdn Company currently in the field that I have found running both C/V and 5 tons, so far, Thompson has some 3 & 5 ton rigs up here and the Fed has some Sprinters...
not many C/V owners up here that are looking for drivers...

Do lots of research and talk to those that are doing the job up here as Cdn's and hear the real story...it's interesting but a bit
different then the US stories you read on here!!

Good Hunting...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good Luck,

Just remember we are NOT in the US and business is a bit different up here!!!
TST is about the biggest Cdn Company currently in the field that I have found running both C/V and 5 tons, so far, Thompson has some 3 & 5 ton rigs up here and the Fed has some Sprinters...
not many C/V owners up here that are looking for drivers...

Do lots of research and talk to those that are doing the job up here as Cdn's and hear the real story...it's interesting but a bit
different then the US stories you read on here!!

Good Hunting...

Boy you got that right...I had to re-learn the biz when I got down here...it is different on this side of the border....

truckerdjm

Active Expediter
im looking to get into expediting i want to buy a van an get started i have a cdl-a with hazmat and good physical card. im retireing and not ready stop drivin. i live in ohio between toledo& cleveland. any help

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
im looking to get into expediting i want to buy a van an get started i have a cdl-a with hazmat and good physical card. im retireing and not ready stop drivin. i live in ohio between toledo& cleveland. any help

If I were you, find someone in here that lives close to you and maybe they will show you their van or sprinter setup. This way you can ask questions and see how other folks set up their van and such. You can also go to a truckstop and talk to expeditors there. You will see them usually off to the sides or outer lot of the truckstop with their company name on the van or sprinter. Panther, Nations,Blair,Allstate, Express ONe and so on are a few names. You can look in the classifieds in here too.