Looking to get back into driving

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was looking at getting into driving a straight truck but I have been unable to find a site like classadrivers.com that will let you compare the companies by the requirements that they have. Does anyone know of a similar site? Or know of any companies I can check with? he issue comes from the fact that in 2001 I was convicted of a minor felony, it was for criminal mischief. I drove class A until 2/09 and had just under 3 years experience but what I wanted to do is team with my wife that has no commercial driving experience. Any ideas or a direction to point me in would be appreciated.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Paullud;

I am not aware of a site that does comparisons between companies. I would suggest that you make a list of those items that are important to you when leasing onto a Carrier and call those companies that you may be interested in to find your answers.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck in your ventures.

HotFr8Recruiter

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, I was just hoping that there might be a way to view their requirements to make ie easier just do to the situation.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Paullud;

If looking solely for requirements, pretty much any reputable company will require the following of you:

* A vehicle which is mechanically sound and cosmetically cool
* A copy of your drivers license and another form of ID which would satisfy the Dept of Homeland Security I-9 form (SS Card, Birth Cert, Passport, etc.)
* A DOT physical. Some carriers will not require if operating vehicle under 10,000 pounds GVW which does not transport placardable quantities of hazmat. Must meet carrier's criteria - ie... not over 90 days old, must be done by our doctor, etc...
* A DOT regulated (NIDA-5) pre-employment drug screen
* A copy of your vehicle registration and/or title
* A Certificate of Insurance listing the carrier you are leasing onto as a "Certificate Holder".
* A copy of your DOT Annual Vehicle Inspection. Federally mandated for any vehicle having GVW over 10,000 lbs (so it applies to trailers also). Some carriers will not require if operating vehicle under 10,000 pounds GVW which does not transport placardable quantities of hazmat.
* All signage removed from vehicle from prior company. and finally:
* A positive attitude. :)

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

JJMitch

Seasoned Expediter
Is it hard for someone with a felony to get work ?

I just completed school to get my CDL but I've got a felony conviction from 15 years ago for bad checks, that I had to serve time for, so no Canada or Hazmat for me. I've had no trouble with the law since then. Are there companies that will still hire me ?

chrisv

Seasoned Expediter
As you can imagine, these situations are always evaluated case-by-case. Please feel free to call Panther directly and I'll be happy to help.

Camper

Not a Member
I was looking at getting into driving a straight truck but I have been unable to find a site like classadrivers.com that will let you compare the companies by the requirements that they have. Does anyone know of a similar site? Or know of any companies I can check with? he issue comes from the fact that in 2001 I was convicted of a minor felony, it was for criminal mischief. I drove class A until 2/09 and had just under 3 years experience but what I wanted to do is team with my wife that has no commercial driving experience. Any ideas or a direction to point me in would be appreciated.

Hmmm..Well, with a felony, I would say your options could be limited but all is not lost. Haz Mat and Canada runs might be out of your league though.

It does so happen that I have an opening for one of my local air freight runs, $12/hr to start. You'll be driving a non-CDL 14' Isuzu NPR to LAX if you're interested.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm..Well, with a felony, I would say your options could be limited but all is not lost. Haz Mat and Canada runs might be out of your league though.

It does so happen that I have an opening for one of my local air freight runs, $12/hr to start. You'll be driving a non-CDL 14' Isuzu NPR to LAX if you're interested.

Hazmat is not an issue actually because I have a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities and I already had my Hazmat endorsement. I am looking into Canada now because I found that they will allow you in after 10 years has passed but I hear it can still be a problem, I might try and get a Ministries Permit to make crossing easier.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App