Looking to buy and drive

Pork Chop

Expert Expediter
Ok, first off I'm 22. I've been driving since I was 18 and I really can't think of anything else I want to do to make money. I'm really considering buying into this business. I'm looking at the FL Century Class trucks...Good/Bad buy??? Ok....what do I really need to look at when getting into this business. Up front costs....getting credit for fuel/maintance/repairs???? Of if anyone has a number or webpage that would give me the full details of starting this life style, please let me know ASAP. PS. If there are any O/O's out there looking for a good/safe reliable driver with a totally clean record and drug/alcohol free...then PLEASE let me know. Im not too keen on the FL70/80 model trucks. I'd love to be in a century or a sterling, or something that is tractor trailer size cabs. Anyways......even if you don't have that and you need a driver, still let me know....I'm not that picky. Current Class A, I can get the hazmat if needed. Clean driving record, and READY to run my ##### off. I love driving and dealing with the trucking life style, so please...if you need a driver, let me know. Im based out of Northern Virginia and will run 48 and canada. The longer the run for me, the better. ANyways "again" My name is John and you can reach me at the following.....

Email [email protected] or [email protected]
Phone 703-779-0156 (H)
703-431-8537 (C) <---best way to reach me!!

Thanks for wasting your time and reading this post. Hope to hear from someone about owning, or driving. Thanks again

John Smith, Jr
aka Pork Chop

paperback1

Expert Expediter
If you look at past postings you can get an idea of what you'll need to get started. I would highly recomend doing some research, and if you still want this, drive for an o/o for a minimum of 6 months. If you go to the classified section of this site, you can put an add on there to let owners know about yourself, or you can look at owners that are looking to hire drivers. Good luck

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
paperback gives some good advise.

you will need at least 20% down for a new or used truck and EXCELLET credit. Best bet is runing for an o/o or fleet owner. Get that under your belt first.

x

RobZip

Expert Expediter
Pork Chop, I'd go ahead right now and get that hazmat endorsement. Any expedite carrier is going to require it. You may never see a hazmat load but then again, the first dispatch you get may be hazmat.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Pork Chop: Welcome to a great website. If there is anything you need to know about expediting, you can find out here. And if you don't like what one person says, there will probably be a different point of view expressed later.

The one thing that everyone with any experience will tell you is to enter this business very cautiously. Just today someone posted that FedEx was laying off people. That means that there are going to be poeple out there with truck, mortgage, food and other expenses that will be scared about earing a living. That can translate into cheaper freight, which puts more pressure on the market to keep prices down. Historically, the first person to be hurt by reduced prices is the owner/operator and drivers.

My advice to any newbie is to drive for someone else. If there isn't anyone looking for drivers, then that should be a warning to you. When there is money to be made, people will be looking for drivers. If they are not looking for drivers then they have either lost their trucks (sold or repo'd), park the truck because they can't earn enough to stay on the road, or are not expanding because they do not see the business as growing.

Good luck and Drive Safe.