Looking to buy a nice camera.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm looking to buy a nice camera for around 600-700$ anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to be able to change filters, and have great zoom capabilities. I would ask Peter Lik, but I bet he's outta my price range. Lol

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have a Nikon D40.
There was a thread about this awhile ago started by layoutshooter.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Did alot of research, canon T1i, it's a 15mp and as a bonus takes full HD video also. Around that price could be cheaper If u look around, wonderful photos and cam change the lenses out. If u are a member at Costco they usually have a bundle with camera and like 2 lenses and memory card for pretty good price. There's a t2i that's a newer version it's 18mp. Good luck

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

existenz

Active Expediter
Did alot of research, canon T1i, it's a 15mp and as a bonus takes full HD video also. Around that price could be cheaper If u look around, wonderful photos and cam change the lenses out. If u are a member at Costco they usually have a bundle with camera and like 2 lenses and memory card for pretty good price. There's a t2i that's a newer version it's 18mp. Good luck

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

I have the t1i. I love it.
I've used my mothers nikon before, don't remember the model but it was equivalent to the T1i, and its colors were nice and it felt solid.

I've taken over 20,000 photos with the T1i, and have close to 4000 on filckr. The shutter is doing great, haven't had problems with dirt or debris on the sensor.
I also have a Speedlite flash unit on it as well.

Some examples:
HDR and lightroom

Standard, basic editing.

High speed example.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check out dpreview.com I think it is as well as the popular photography magazine website.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The lens and filters are what make good photos not the base. The only thing you get with higher model base is more programs and buttons.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Higher MPs are always nice. So how much did the T1i end up costing you?

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
If you read the Dpreview forums for people looking for new cameras you'll get some good info. One thing that helped was to head to a local independent camera dealer and pick his brain. He suggested getting something older (2007 in my case). We narrowed it down to Nikon and Canon but the advantage of Canon is they are a much larger company than Nikon which means the availability of lenses is greater.

So I ended up getting an EOS Canon 40D with a decent lens for $550. It also came with a battery pack. I'm planning to take a couple lessons before we leave home. I've got a couple leads for lessons via Craigslist.

Another website I checked out is PhotoSig. After checking out cameras for sale at Costco and other places and comparing the photos to those at PhotoSig, the cameras similar to the Canon 40D were heads above current stuff that you see at costco or other retailers.

I think one big difference is those cameras are basically beginner units (compact SLR). But if you get serious about taking nice photos they will have more limitations. Cameras like the Canon 40D are "mid-range SLR's". The FPS is 6.5 and maximum shutter speed is 1/8000. Most new DSLR'S for less than $1200 will have slower shutter speeds and 1/4000 max shutter speed.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with the starter cameras at Costco. One great advantage of a place like Costco (or Sam's Club I would assume), is that if anything goes wrong they will take it back, no questions asked, no receipt needed.
-Todd

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I used to have a Canon Powershot and it was ok for a beginner, but I found that detailed pics or when I had to use zoom it was a nightmare. I never really got the quality I desired. I got a lot of pics I took with my canon here at www.myspace.com/thefalligator.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
I have the nikon D3000 also the D5000.The D3000 is a nice camera.easy to use takes nice pics.Came with 18-55mm lens 10.2mp.Only real downside for me is no live view:( cost me 450 at meijer's.The D5000 is a nicer camera with more options.It is 12.3mp HD video has live view also takes nice pics.came with 18-55mm and 55-200 mm lens.cost at the time about a year ago 750 at Best buy.
neither camera has a built in auto focus motor built into camera body.Some of the cheaper lenses also have no motor so no auto focus.Unless you buy lens that cost more.

A few tips.If you go with nikon go with the V.R lenses (vibration reduction)cost a little more but imo worth it.

No matter what brand you go with if you ever buy used lenses make sure they work for what you really want.Even used lenses can cost some good money.Also imo never buy used unless you have to.

You always have to ask when buying camera If it is gray Market camera.DO NOT BUY IT IF IT IS.What this is is a camera that was made for say china that some how made it to a shelf here.Some of the components for a camera may not work here.some gray market may just be out and out fakes.The reason I say this is because it may Void the warranty and yes even the extended one you paid an extra 50 bucks for.

You said you want something you can use filters on.When it comes to filters it is never more true you get what you pay for.also there are different size filters for the different MM lenses.How ever many lenses you buy buy the same ammount of cheap filters When not using a lens keep a cheap filter on it it just helps to protect the lens glass.Even a small scratch on a lens will ruin the lens and a 10 dollar filter is alot better then a 200-300 dollar lens.

I think the most important thing is when in the store looking at cameras go with the one that feels the most comfortable in your hands.Trust me you dont want a camera that feels bulky in your hands.Good luck and have fun photography can be a very fun hobby and its a great excuse to get outside.