looking for freight

enterprise

Expert Expediter
looking for freight to run with mini-vans or older 14' box truck. have done a lot of work for csx railroad and federal express in the past. both companies have cut back to a point where i have to find something else to run. would love daily dedicated runs in the lexington or louisville, kentucky areas, possible the cincinnati area.thanks for the help.:D

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Good Luck. Don't really know of any expediters that would do a dedicated route in that area or any area. With that equipment, you may of had a chance with a couple of expediters out there, but you may want to consider a company (I think) out of Cincinnati or Columbus called Priority. I do believe they are a local cartage company that may be able to help.

Good Luck,

ABC

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They may have a use for the 14 footer, but you may be stretching with the mini-van.
Davekc

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I agree with everyone else so far - the 14 footer would give you the best odds, but finding dedicated freight in the expedited industry is a hard proposition. You may try looking in the yellow pages for local courier companies - they may be more of what you are after. Best of luck in your search - X

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
sounds like you might have the experience necessary to handle shipments for air freight forwarders. there are many forwarders that do not have offices in Louisville or Lexington that could use occasional delivery work. do not expect any of them to have "dedicated" runs. you can do your own marketing simply by using the internet to access a list of air freight forwarders on a national basis, then try calling the one without offices in your city. my company did this for years and made a healthy income from representing at one time up to 40 different forwarders, it will take time to develop this business and the forwarders you talk with will want tariffs of local and surrounding areas broken down by weight and mileage charges.... hope this helps you!

enterprise

Expert Expediter
thanks for the info. wanted to find out what area of the country that you did this. i'm still not exactly sure what i'm looking for in this search. any help would be appreached. wanted to know if this work was constant or speratic or not. i want to find something consistent and run daily or go out on a sunday and stay out until wednesday or thursday. thanks for the help.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I will chime in with my 2¢ here.

With a 14 footer you can make a living but it is likely you would be working for someplace more along the lines of a courior outfit. I work a dedicated mail route for Dynamex in the DC area and am quite happy with it (other than the cruddy traffic every day). You may also want to check into EGL as others have suggested in other threads.

Also Tom's suggestion about contracting with air freight forwarders is a real gem of an idea IMHO.

--
Mike N