looking for a truck to drive

eric907

Expert Expediter
hello i have signed on with panther ii and was going to orentation on feb 2,2004 but when i saw the truck that i was possibly going to drive it was in very bad shape i am looking to run single and am looking for someone who needs a driver that will treat me fare and has good equipment that ist going to break down all the time where should i look?

thank a bunch eric naillon:)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I remember McBride mentioning about knowing some owners that were with panther. This was a while back. Maybe when the McBride’s see this they will remember. Most of the drivers are in and out and it may take someone a few days or a week or 2 before they get back in and reply to the threads. So if you can be a little patient, maybe someone will send you an email or answer with some info.

Is it not to late to back out of the orientation or postpone it for a month or 2? You may want to wait till you find an owner and get a truck before you invest going to an orientation. Maybe someone from another company may need a driver. Go to the classified and look under drivers wanted.

I think it would be best to find an owner and have a truck before you go into an orientation. Remember Eric it is your duty and right to screen the owner and to make sure he or she is a straight shooter. You have the right to do a back ground check on the owner. There are some bad owners out there so beware. There are a lot of very good owners too. Remember patients is a virtue!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Depending how thorough you want to be, would depend on what you want to do. One way to check into an owner is to ask him/her for references (names and numbers or emails of some past and present drivers) I would ask for the past as well as the present so I can check how the money flow was, and still is. Does he do what he says he will do.

If you want to be more thorough than that do a credit check on the owner. I’m sure if someone has bad credit and doesn’t pay his or her bills, that person won’t pay you either.

Remember you are an Independent Contractor. An IC is a person running a small business. This means you are an owner of a company that provides a service for a fee. Do your homework and get the proper papers in order to run credit checks on potential clients (in your case the owners you may want to drive for)

There is nothing worse than driving 2000 miles for someone only to find out you aren’t going to get paid when you get done.
If an owner give you a hard time and or refuses then it may be best to walk away and find a good owner.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Tony,

We know people who have trucks and vans leased on with Con-way and Tri-State. Both now have all the drivers they need I think. I believe that they both only want teams now too...except for maybe the vans.