Looking For A Good Company

Flybye

Seasoned Expediter
Hi
I have a 1 ton cargo Van and a CDL A been driving for 13yrs but i dont have Hazmat anyone know a good company to go with and still get home on weekends not lookinbg to get rich just enough to pay bills. any help would be nice.

Thank you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediting and home weekends are pretty much mutually exclusive events. The reason is not knowing where you go next. With expediting your routing is something like a-b-c-d-e-f-a-g-h-i-j-c-k-l-m-n-m-o-p-f ad infinitum. You sometimes go back to the same shipper or consignee but for the most part it's new places. In expediting you go where the freight goes and you go home when the freight goes near home. To do otherwise would often mean you work Mon-Thu and spend Friday deadheading 563 miles home to be home for the weekend. Other times you might be 1xxx miles from home. To be successful in expediting you have to be willing and able to leave home and follow the freight for 3 weeks or so and then use your companies hometime program to get a load heading toward home to take a few days off and start it all over again.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
depends on which companie and where u live like express1 where im at and living in the detroit metro home pretty much when i want if the freight is there my brother in law lives in the detroit metro and works for try hours and pretty much gauranteed hes home pretty much every weekend.

Flybye

Seasoned Expediter
I Live in Ohio i could stay out but she has things to do on fridays. so she has to be home now if i could at least get close. to get someone to pick her up. i could stay runnining

Thank you.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
UPS Expedite says they have what I think they call "airport recovery runs". You might check them out. I know they were getting overloaded with applications for a while but I think that was for regular expediting, not Airport specific stuff. With something like that you would most likely be home most nights.

arcanum70

Seasoned Expediter
Your going to get out of expediting what you put into it.

If you insist on being home every weekend then your settlement checks will reflect that.

As for companies do your research, talk to drivers when you see them at truck stops. I'm sure we all have horror stories, I know that I have one from when I was with Tri State and after being told that they would help me with a repair they then left me stranded over three hundred miles from home with the explanation that if they helped me I would apparently leave the company and that by stranding me it would endear me towards them and make me want to stay.

Needless to say I am no longer with them.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
I am on with Express 1 and they are an excellent expediting company. They keep my vehicles moving and all the people that work there are really friendly and professional.
I would definitely stay away from TST which has recently started advertising on EO. They are out of Canada and it is very tough to get drivers qualified with them so the trucks sit empty. Also if you are lucky enough to find a driver, they end up quiting because most of their loads are in and out of Canada.

Made In Detroit

Seasoned Expediter
You might want to try C&M Transport they are based out of Ohio and they are a smaller company that runs mostly in the 7 state area, it's my understanding that they are a very good company to work for, and the last that I heard they have been very busy lately, even while the freight with the larger national carriers has been slow. You also might want to look into ASAP as well, another smaller regional company based out of Michigan. As someone else has mentioned, Express 1 is a good company but they are based in Western Michigan and I don't know if that would be an issue with getting you home or not. You are better off sticking to the smaller companies if you want to get home often. The larger carriers will put you on the s**t-list if you try to go home more than once a month. Or so I hear at least. ASAP and Express-1 both advertise on this site, and here's the link to C&M; www.cmtransport.com ;they don't advertise on this site. Good luck!