Looking for a company.

Draco

Expert Expediter
Hey everyone,
I'm fairly new here but I need some help. I was in expediting until I had 2 yrs of BAD luck. Recently was 2 accidents this year. Due to a forced dispatched I rolled my van on black ice, that was in Feb. Then in June I was involved in a swoop and squat in NJ. Even though either accidents couldn't have been prevented my company cancelled my contract. Before this run of bad luck I had received saftey awards from my company 2 yrs in a row. I always pickuped early and delivery early (if allowed).

So I was wondering is there ANY companies out there that would hire me? Even IF it's just "local" or dedicated runs. Anything would be better than sittin here with a $680 van payment and not bein able to make it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Where are you located? And what is a swoop and squat?
I had a couple myself, including flipping a D unit, and most companies can overlook them if preventable. My guess is that your company's insurance company wouldn't let them keep you on... only because of the closeness in dates of your accidents. Just call recruiters and ask them. I'm sure you'll find a home. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They need to take these thieves and hang them from the nearest tree. After a couple or three days hanging there on display maybe others will think longer before duplicating their thievery.

Draco

Expert Expediter
A swoop and squat is where someone gets in front of you, rather close and then they wait until you are blocked in. Sometimes they will work with a partner sometimes not (like during rush hour). Once you are blocked in they slam on their brakes causing you to rear-end them. Swoop and squats are BIG money in NJ and are commin more frequent elsewhere in no fault states. These people are gypsies (that what the insurance guys I talked to called them). They will pack a 16 passanger van with 2 adult and 14 kids get into an accident then file claims in small claims courts for the kids. Also they will get older people in older vehicles pack it full of misc stuff and do the same.

Ya, insurance is why they let me go, Safety told me I could come back in a yr if I don't have any more accidents. Because before these past 2 yrs, I had a good driving record and was a very safe driver. Always picked up on time (or early) and delivered the same way.

Basically it's just a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

payline

Expert Expediter
I have a good friend that was a victim of the swoop and squat about a year ago. He had a fairly good driving record , but his contract was cancelled as well due to the insurance company of the carrier. He was having a heck of a time trying to find a company that would sign him on , so what he did was hire a private investigator for 650.00 who did a lot of research on the person that was involved in the accident, and come to find out that person had pulled the same scam 14 times in 12 different states within the previous 2 years. Ultimately they went to court and the accident was removed from his driving record. He sued and won in court and got his 650.00 back as well as court costs, attorney fees, and the scam artist was found guilty of insurance fraud, etc. I know that not everybody has money to spend to hire a PI , but I thought this info might help out. Good Luck to you and I wish you the best

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
>Anyone ever mounted a small video camera that would have a two hour tape repeating itself that could photo the driving of others. If an accident occured like this than the tape would prove the truck drivers innocence. How much do you think this would cost the picture would not have to be perfect just an observation of others wreckless driving in front of you. I believe if the general public knew that cameras were inside of the cab that this behavior would stop. Insurance companies are you paying attention. Police use it so does the grocery store industry why not the trucking industry?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever mounted a small video camera that the tape constantly reruns. If an incident like this happened your proof would be in hand. Would anyone have any idea on the costs to do this. Stores use them, Police cars have them why not the trucking industry. Insurance companies and carriers are you listening? Lets just go one step further say there was a notice on the back of your truck video tape observing wreckless driving. Think someone with these intentions would do a swoop and squat in front of a truck with prior knowledge that it had a camera inside of it?

Draco

Expert Expediter
>They need to take these thieves and hang them from the
>nearest tree. After a couple or three days hanging there on
>display maybe others will think longer before duplicating
>their thievery.

Yup, I agree. Maybe if they start prosecuting them it will end. But until that happens everyone that is happens to is in bad shape. I hired a Interstate Trucker to fight it but to no avail. Even though I had a witness saying it wasn't my fault because he was another trucker cops wouldn't listen to him. Told him get your truck off MY interstate or I'll right ya a ticket. Interstate Trucker said since it's in a no fault state no since in fightin it. :(

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
The video camera idea is something I'm going to do when I get my own truck one in front and one in back. Heck the sticker might be enough to divert some of the swoopers and thieves like having a ADT sign in the front lawn.

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
The tour bus company that I work for part time has installed something called DriverCams in every bus. I heard they cost around $1,000...don't know for sure. But, they record constantly and only save 10 seconds before and 10 after any event that causes motion greater than 1 G. Of course, that can include anything from a rough railroad crossing to a sudden stop due a car cutting you off, but it would also include video of an fontal impact. The camera records through the windshield and it also records the inside of the coach (passengers) at the same time.