Looking at a used truck, what should I have checked

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking a purchasing a used WG/TVAL truck. It has a gulf coast filter and I have checked the history and the analysis has always been excellent. The truck has an 05 Cummins 315 with 310K miles. What checks should I have done on the truck?

moose

Veteran Expediter
The more info. you can wright down , the more we can help.
here are some basics :
* you need to like the truck , take it for a ride , and ride it like you stole it ! then ride it like you going to run it .
*get a full ECM report , not just the hand set, fax it over to an experience mechanic you trusts .
*get it on the dino , and fax the results .
*get it to an aliment shop (at seller expenses !)and check the front end.
*be prepared to replace all trany & axles liquids at 1,000 mil.
*negotiate all repairs and tires before buying.
make sure all maintenance reports are included.(car-fact it at a dealer if possible)
and so on.
good luck.

Moose.
Im board

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If im buying a truck 1st thing i look for is the service records.Whats been repaired or not repaired.If hes on with FECC he will have a summary of everything hes done to that truck evrery 6 months since he put it in service.You need to take it to a garage that can check the ECM for fault codes,this will tell you much about the engine,everything from actual fuel mileage to power settings,to any problems.As far as the reefer,you'll have to find out when it last was tval checked,the operating temps if they are ok,and also the ECM ill also tell you of problems.Along with the rest of what i've said,you want to check the drive train,u joints,any leaks,and tire wear is a give away if there is bearing wear in the axles.With just 300000 miles this may be a good buy,if the price is right. good luck