Logging Info Needed

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need some help here. We are thinking of running a smaller truck in the family as opposed to our D units. Looking in my little green book it states all interstate commercial vehicles must keep a log book. It defines "commercial vehicle" as a vehicle 26,000 lbs. gross or over. So, I would figure anything 25,999 and under (Non-CDL trucks) do not need to log. I think there are state law exceptions in NY and KY.
If all this being so, why did a friend of mine just get ticketed for no log book in Ohio running a little 16,000# gross Isuzu?
I hope someone can set me straight :)
-Thanks-
Weave

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To the best of my knowledge thee is no way that A 18,000 gross truck could receive a logbook violation. Perhaps the violation was for a mechanical failure, IE lights out ,bad tires,bad brakes etc.Suggest you check with safety where you are signed on and see if a small unit like that can be held to regulations for larger trucks.

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi weave, I was told by CTX that you have to run a log unless you are in a cargo van.. However I rented a truck from Star truck rentals, it was a 24ft straight that had a GVWR of 25,500 and they said a log wasn't needed. I don't know if this is because it wasn't for a Expedite company or what but I suppose I am of no help on this, but I just thought I'd tell you what I've heard...Well have a great week everyone Andy [email protected] :7

beenthere

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All regulated vehicles need to log. Reg 395.8 (a) (1) Every driver who operates a commercial vehicle shall record his/her duty status, in duplicate, for each 24 hour period. (etc.)

Section 390.5 defines a commerical motor vehicle as
(1) has a gross vehicle rating or gross combination weight, of 4536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2)is designed to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3)is designed or used for transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) is used in transportating material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, Subtitle B, Chapter I, subchapeter C)

The guidance in the back of the FMSCR states:
Question 1:
What hours of service regulations apply to drivers between the united states or mexico or between the united states and canada?

Guidance:
When operating CMV's as defined in 390.5, in the United States, all hours-of-service provisions apply to all drivers of CMV's, regardless of nationality, point of origin, or where the driving time or on-duty time was accrued.

Hope this helps. Simply stated all CMV's (10,001 and greater) are required to log.

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was told any commercial vehicle over 10,000 lbs you need a log book. Our van is registered 9,500 so I don't need to log. I've heard that in Louisiana though you need to log, but I haven't been there, so I don't know if it's true or not.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks! I'm set straight on the smaller truck reg's. Now if only I could read and interpret that book... :7
-Weave-